The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Today PLOS ONE requests release of PACE data

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Countrygirl, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    https://forbetterscience.wordpress....tient-privacy-concerns-and-parasite-paranoia/

2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

It seems that pretty much everyone agrees that the data should be shared.

Hopefully the judges will also see it this way.

Will we see a first PACE author leave the sinking ship? There has got to be some point where someone, with less personal investment into this than the others, makes a calculation and decides it's better to quit before it's too late.

3. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
  4. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    Should this thread be merged with this one?

5. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    James Coyne has just tweeted this: 'Because I will live up to PACE investigators' calling me 'vexatious', moving on to other high value, soft targets like SMILE trial'.

6. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    So the question now is what powers do PLOS have to enforce this ? Presumably the PACE authors will not comply without fighting it with everything they have got, it wouldn't even surprise me if they'd rather have the paper retracted than release the data.

7. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Which would be a de facto admission that they have something to hide, and their reputations would take a battering.

They have painted themselves into a corner on this issue, and deserve everything that is coming.

8. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    At least retracting the paper would have a more immediate effect.
    Something about the NICE guidelines for ME not being reevaluated while PACE is seen as solid evidence and MEA trying to get the moratorium lifted.
    Sorry someone else will have to clarify having trouble finding words today.

Invisible Woman, Sean and MeSci like this.
  9. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member

I suspect they'll try and drag things out until the after the Information Tribunal case has been heard next month. If they win the case they'll trumpet the importance of patient confidentiality, and try to use this as cover to justify their withdrawal of the PLOS paper. If they lose the data will be made public anyway, so there'd be no point in them continuing to refuse the PLOS request.

TiredSam, Esther12, Valentijn and 4 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.