1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Today on Dr. OZ ~ EBV & Chronic exhaustion, cancer, etc.

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Koan, Feb 17, 2010.

1. mezombie

mezombie Senior Member

East Coast city, USA
    I should have rephrased that.

The relevance of IgG titers to current symptoms is hotly contended. It's why I put a link to the Holmes paper defining "CFS" in 1988 in my earlier post. So it's not clear that a positive IgG is evidence of a reactivated infection. Some ME/CFS clinicians and researchers are considering that it may be.

The EBV EA IgG testing is offered by Labcorp, so it can't be that unusual to request it. However, it seems somewhat pointless to do so unless your doctor understands the potential significance of the test results. There are doctors who will treat with antivirals based on postive IgG titers, but they are the mavericks.
  2. KC22

KC22 Senior Member

Ohio
    Dr. Lerner is one of those mavericks. He only tests IGM and EBV EA IgG. He doesn't do the other 2 tests, VCA and EBNA, I believe. You do have to have a doctor who knows how to read the test results. For years, I did not have a doctor who knew what the numbers actually meant. I believe it is the VCA, not sure if I have that right, that can be really high, but it only tests if you have been exposed.
  3. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    Mezombie,

Thank you for posting this information. I also test postitive for a past infection but not present. But I had CFS for about 20 years at that point and it started with what was Dx as EBV and later CEBV and had all the hallmarks of it. I don't know what my titres were though and that doctor who first Dx me has passed away.

And I see what you're saying in your second post about this too. It takes a maverick to treat us properly!
  4. IntuneJune

IntuneJune Senior Member

NorthEastern USA
    Being diagnosed with a primary immune deficiency, low IgG, IgA, IgM, I do not respond with elevated titers. I recently was tested, then given a pneumonia vaccine, then retested to see if my immune system responded.............no one was home.

June
  5. beckster

beckster

june

how was the vaccine given you?
  6. rebecca1995

rebecca1995 Apple, anyone?

Northeastern US
    Hi June,

I'm curious, with those results, if you've been diagnosed with something like Common Variable Immune Deficiency or Severe Combined Immune Deficiency. I have Selective IgA Deficiency, myself.

Do you know your XMRV results? I've been kicking around the possibility that XMRV could cause antibody deficiencies because B cells are some of the cells the virus infects (according to the Science paper). I emailed the WPI a while ago to ask if they're looking for connections between XMRV and primary immune deficiencies.

I was told that the IgA deficiency is probably an inherited disorder--but both my parents have been tested, and neither of them have it. All I know is that something created a problem with my B cells.
  7. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Chronic EBV v. ME/CFIDS (CFS)

90- 95% of adults are infected with EBV. A normal immune system will keep it totally dormant. Only when you have a serious immune disease like ME (CFS) or AIDS will you get active chronic infection. It is an epiphenomenon aka opportunistic infection. Thus if you have Chronic EBV (what ME/CFIDS used to be called) and you do not have AIDS or another serious immune disease, you have ME. But, not everyone with ME has Chronic EBV. Complicating the picture is that ME is usually triggered by a viral infection, often acute EBV (Mono).

See more popular forum discussions.