• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

To those who've tried lysine

knackers323

Did it give you sore glands or any other side effects?

I do not have a known herpes virus but the glands in my neck get sore from lysine.

Not sure if it's a side effect or killing of a virus

Lysine apparently increases viral load in HIV so it may be possible it does so with other virus also

Not sure how it increases viral load in hiv

Runner5

I don't think I have a virus of any sort but have taken Lysine. I had no effects one way or the other from it that I know of. It didn't seem to affect me so I quit taking it. I've had swollen painful lymph nodes for a long while though, under my chin and back of my head, but the doctor said it was, "stress." Because being a middle-class housewife is so much worse than my old job in IT (sarcasm alert). ;-P haha

I was always having to take Amino Acids so now I just use protein shakes, Whey in particular. I'm a little bit on a high side of allergic to milk, but I fall apart without the extra protein. So now am going to try out Goat Whey and hope that it will give me the amino oomph without GI problems. (I've tried pea protein-based shakes and within about 3 days I'm sick - gave it more than one go because I don't mind them and wanted them to work but they just don't for me.)

ljimbo423

I've been taking 2-3 grams a day for months without side effects. I take it for it's anti-cell danger response(CDR) properties. This is a quote from Robert Naviaux-

4.14. Lysine
The antiviral CDR is strongly regulated by the post-translational state of lysines on histones and immune effector proteins like the double strand RNA binding protein known as RIG1 (retinoic acid inducible gene 1), and the mitochondrial antiviral sensor (MAVS) (Jiang et al., 2012).

Lysine ubiquitination facilitates oligomerization of RIG1, which is required for efficient binding to MAVS and interferon induction. SAM-mediated lysine methylation stabilizes proteins, inhibits ubiquitination, and works to oppose increased proteasome-mediated protein turnover that is part of the CDR.

Dietary lysine is an antagonist of the gut serotonin receptor 4 (5HTR4), is anxiolytic (Smriga and Torii, 2003), and opposes the CDR.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1567724913002390

overtheedge

I took some lysine a while back to see if it would affect the chronic active EBV I have, never had any reaction to it good or bad, no swollen glands

pamojja

Started 6 g/d of l-lysine as part of comprehensive Orthomolecular Pauling therapy 9 years ago against PAD. It main debilitating symptom of intermittent claudication immediately improved. Haven't mentioned any other side-effects.

Joined PhoenixRising last year only. And because many here complain about swollen lymph nodes I realized I had none left, while as an early adult had them everywhere, especially below my chaw. Now can't recognize when they had gone..

Last edited:

Tammy

It's not uncommon for a person to have detox symptoms while starting L-lysine. I am going by another group that I belong to. I had cold sore breakouts when I first started it. Detox symptoms faded after awhile. I started with low dose and worked up. Presently taking 6gms.