• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

To support those of us with electromagnetic sensitivity, please act now:

The US FCC wants to "streamline" the approval process for DAS (Distributed Antenna System) 4G/5G ubiquitous cell towers by exempting them from the 1996 Telecommunications Act. Municipalities and individuals already cannot regulate where they can put these things based on "health effects."

And the US Senate will imminently be voting on S.19 and S.88, to expand DAS 4G/5G deployment!

If these bills pass, millions of small cell towers (on existing light poles/utility poles, or new ones) will be deployed everywhere, throughout residential neighborhoods. The millimeter microwave radiation deployed will produce horrific health effects, worsening EVERYONE's health, and will remove the remaining pollinators. It's THAT serious. The bees in particular will die off rapidly, per studies of bees and microwave radiation.

For all of us, but especially those of us with EMS along with CF, etc., please consider writing or calling your senators, and passing this info along to others. The Senate is expected to vote on these bills the week of 1/30/17.
See link below for list of Senators and their info, by State, for ease in writing and phoning.
https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/

Thank you!

sb4

Do you have any studies which demonstrate that the 15 GHz electromagnetic radiation from 5G is linked to health effects?

I note that this study on 5G will start in 2017.
A quick search found me one from 4g and a small one from 5g.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24012322
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-cellphone-5g-health-20160808-snap-story.html

Whilst I don't fully understand it myself I think nnEMF effects calcium efflux and quantum coherence (http://www.i-sis.org.uk/Quantum_Coherent_Water_Homeopathy.php). It appears most people in the know fear 5g.

ash0787

everyones heard the thing 'mobile phones give you cancer' but was that ever actually proven despite the immense interest and awareness of that controversy ? either way most people still use phones, I mean good luck convincing millenials to give up their " iphone s7 galaxy " you'd have more luck banning everyone from smoking.

sb4

everyones heard the thing 'mobile phones give you cancer' but was that ever actually proven despite the immense interest and awareness of that controversy ? either way most people still use phones, I mean good luck convincing millenials to give up their " iphone s7 galaxy " you'd have more luck banning everyone from smoking.
The only thing we can do is protect ourselves from the uninformed masses using nnemfs whilst trying to inform as many as possible.

I think millenials will change once the effects are clear.

Hip

Prof Martin Pall has a theory that electrosensitivity might in some people be caused by electromagnetic radiation triggering voltage gated calcium channels.

Though I have yet to see a study in which the electrosensitivity of any individual was clearly observed via real time measurement of objective physiological parameters, or a study in which electrosensitive individuals were able to tell when a mobile base station / Wi Fi station in proximity to them was on or off.

However, there is probably some ill effects from cellular base station radiation, as this review study, which examined 10 epidemiological studies looking at neurobehavioral effects or cancer in populations living at distances of less than 500 meters from cellular base stations, found an increased prevalence of adverse neurobehavioral symptoms and cancer (in 8 out of 10 studies).

But another factor is that even if significant electrosensitivity is real in some sensitive people (such as those with ME/CFS), I suspect in lots of cases, it is more the fear and anxiety that some people have about electromagnetic (EM) radiation that causes symptoms, rather than the EM radiation itself.

This study found precisely that: in individuals with concerns about health risks from cellular base stations that were enrolled in the study to see how EM radiation affected their sleep, when these individuals were told that they were going to be exposed to EM radiation on a particular night, but in fact were not actually exposed to EM radiation (it was a sham exposure, with the base station turned off that night), they slept just as baldy as when they were really exposed to EM radiation (with the base station turned on).

So their anxiety about EM radiation was causing the bad sleep, rather than the EM radiation itself. This shows that people's anxiety about electromagnetic radiation can just on its own cause symptoms.

sb4

Prof Martin Pall has a theory that electrosensitivity might in some people be caused by electromagnetic radiation triggering voltage gated calcium channels.

Though I have yet to see a study in which the electrosensitivity of any individual was clearly observed via real time measurement of objective physiological parameters, or a study in which electrosensitive individuals were able to tell when a mobile base station / Wi Fi station in proximity to them was on or off.

However, there is probably some ill effects from cellular base station radiation, as this review study, which examined 10 epidemiological studies looking at neurobehavioral effects or cancer in populations living at distances of less than 500 meters from cellular base stations, found an increased prevalence of adverse neurobehavioral symptoms and cancer (in 8 out of 10 studies).

But another factor is that even if significant electrosensitivity is real in some sensitive people (such as those with ME/CFS), I suspect in lots of cases, it is more the fear and anxiety that some people have about electromagnetic (EM) radiation that causes symptoms, rather than the EM radiation itself.

This study found precisely that: in individuals with concerns about health risks from cellular base stations that were enrolled in the study to see how EM radiation affected their sleep, when these individuals were told that they were going to be exposed to EM radiation on a particular night, but in fact were not actually exposed to EM radiation (it was a sham exposure, with the base station turned off that night), they slept just as baldy as when they were really exposed to EM radiation (with the base station turned on).

So their anxiety about EM radiation was causing the bad sleep, rather than the EM radiation itself. This shows that people's anxiety about electromagnetic radiation can just on its own cause symptoms.
I understand what you are saying with anxiety however I think it is very hard to feel the effects instantly of nnEMF since we have no sense to detect it, you have to rely on the subtle side effects (slightly more sympathetic activation, increased blood sugar,etc).

I know when I'm in the country side vs my garden there is a noticeable difference however if you turned on or off wifi in my house I would have no idea.

Have you read Dr Robert O'Beckers work? Would think you'd find it interesting.

Strawberry

FWIW, my brother has been using cell phones since the days when they were the size and weight of a cinder brick. Like 30 years or more. He has no brain cancer. I think the people affected by EMF is a small group, just like people that get CFS/ME from virus are a small group.

I personally don't think people will change cell phone use. We are considered mere freaks of nature. Maybe that is why we can't get treatment world wide, government is culling the diseased apples?

Hip

I think it is very hard to feel the effects instantly of nnEMF since we have no sense to detect it, you have to rely on the subtle side effects (slightly more sympathetic activation, increased blood sugar,etc).

What is nnEMF? I have not seen that term before. I have not seen any studies showing an effect on blood sugar, where did you see that?

If the effects of EM radiation are very hard to feel, then why is electrosensitivity considered such a serious problem in people who claim they have it?

Paralee

I heard about schools and electricity stations for years. I remember wondering about schools being close to some. The person I was talking to said something to the effect of "of course, they built the schools on the cheapest ground, which is by those stations, etc.". That person was smarter than me, obviously.

Dufresne

almost there...
I use to have a tough time with electrical hypersensitivity. However I never had a problem with wireless technology or microwave or the other 'evils' of modern living. What I had trouble with was electric heaters, cars, lights, and a few other things. The more EMF and the closer the proximity, the more uncomfortable it was.

I've no doubt there are people who can tell within a couple minutes when they're being exposed. I certainly could. I believe there are bound to be some bogus studies on this phenomenon. You know, cigarettes don't cause cancer, global warming is a hoax, chronic Lyme doesn't exist, nor MCS. The Wikipedia page on EHS is very dismissive. It used to read "EHS is the false belief..." All bullshit.

At its worst I'd wake up in the morning after a couple very uncomfortable hours in front of the computer the night before with my eyes swollen almost all the way shut. What finally helped in a big way was moving out of a toxic house, presumably toxic with mold. My EHS is 5% or less of what it was, it's negligible. Down in Death Valley it was nonexistent. So I'm pretty sure mold played a big part in it for me.

I'm unsure about the mechanism but it seemed to work like an allergy or sensitivity. If I exposed myself in a bad way it would flare up, making me far more sensitive for even up to a month. Yet this only ever happened in a bad environment. Also with certain psychotropics I could block my reactivity, and my reactivity to foods and such along with it. So I believe it's similar. Perhaps it's a mast cell thing. For sure I know enough people with massive sensitivities who also have EHS. They often go together, and it seems mast cell activation is a part of it.

Hip

never had a problem with wireless technology or microwave or the other 'evils' of modern living. What I had trouble with was electric heaters, cars, lights, and a few other things.

That does not sound like electrical hypersensitivity, as electric heaters do not emit radio frequency electromagnetic waves. It is more likely you were sensitive to dust or allergens in the the heater. Likewise with cars: cars, especially new ones, have a chemical smell that could trigger allergies. Also, if you travel in a car, you could get motion sickness.

ash0787

I'll be sticking with the scientific method, even if it wasn't correctly applied in the case of me/cfs,
I'd be so bored without cutting edge modern technology, not being able to leave the house, sit upright for long or manipulate objects properly with my hands

sb4

What is nnEMF? I have not seen that term before. I have not seen any studies showing an effect on blood sugar, where did you see that?

If the effects of EM radiation are very hard to feel, then why is electrosensitivity considered such a serious problem in people who claim they have it?
nnEMF = non native electromagnetic field

Here is blood sugar study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18568931

I don't have electrosensitivity but some due to genes or poor heteroplasmy rate in certain cells will have more pronounced side effects that you or me and will feel it that way.

I think calcium efflux is just one of the ways it harms us. I think it also dehydrates us through destroying structured water.

sb4

I'll be sticking with the scientific method, even if it wasn't correctly applied in the case of me/cfs,
I'd be so bored without cutting edge modern technology, not being able to leave the house, sit upright for long or manipulate objects properly with my hands
Being bored beats cancer and death my friend. It could even help you significantly with your me.

Hip

That looks like an incredibly poor study. Only four people in it, and the methodology is terrible, more or less just a series of anecdotes. For example:
Case 1 also documented rapid changes in blood sugar as he moved from a medical clinic (environment with dirty electricity), to his parked vehicle (no dirty electricity), and back to the medical clinic. His blood sugar levels changed significantly within 20 min.

JES

Being bored beats cancer and death my friend. It could even help you significantly with your me.

Without technology, most moderate/severe ME patients would basically be limited to minimal communication. Technology like tablets and laptops have been a godsend to these people. It's not about being bored, the choice is whether to have any social life whatsoever or live an antisocial life against your own will.

sb4

Without technology, most moderate/severe ME patients would basically be limited to minimal communication. Technology like tablets and laptops have been a godsend to these people. It's not about being bored, the choice is whether to have any social life whatsoever or live an antisocial life against your own will.
Right but doing things to mitigate risk allows you to have a slice of cake and eat it.