• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

To anyone who knows about antivirals

knackers323

Is getting sore glands n the neck a sign that an antiviral may be working? Anyone heard of this.

I have been taking 500mg twice per day for one month. I haven't yet noticed anything bar slightly sore glands in my neck, that may or may not be related.

I have had similar feeling in these glands a few times throughout my illness but not often.

If it was going to work would I have likely noticed something by now?

Thanks

ukxmrv

Valtrex caused LESS sore glands for me but mine we up and down all the time (mainly up) Not sure what the effect would be for someone who didn't have that as a constant symptom.

zzz

Is getting sore glands n the neck a sign that an antiviral may be working? Anyone heard of this.

I have been taking 500mg twice per day for one month. I haven't yet noticed anything bar slightly sore glands in my neck, that may or may not be related.

Unlike antibiotics in certain illnesses (e.g., Lyme disease), antivirals do not provoke a die-off reaction. So the sore glands would not be a sign that the antiviral is working. As you said, they may not be related; for example, the sore glands may simply be a minor viral flare-up, or even a flare-up of a different virus. If the sore glands are related to the antiviral, they would most likely be a side effect of the antiviral. From your description, it doesn't sound like a serious side effect, but you should check the prescribing information for the antiviral (under Adverse Reactions) to see what its side effects and their severity are. Just Google "<antiviral name> prescribing information" to find it.

If the information isn't clear, or you still have questions, you should ask your doctor. Not knowing what antiviral you're taking and for what virus, it's hard to say more than this.

Most likely, but it depends on the antiviral, the virus, and the individual. The prescribing information should give you more information here; once again, if the information is insufficient, you should ask your doctor.

When an antiviral starts working, in the early stages, the changes are not noticeable. Later on, if the antiviral continues to be successful, the viral symptoms should decline.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm sure I'm saying this wrong and hopefully @heapsreal will correct me, but he said something about virus's not being happy when we start anvirals so they reactivate (my words not his because I can't remember what he said). I am going through a period with a sore throat so makes sense.

I noticed something with acyclovir pretty quickly but with Famvir (750 mgs) I haven't noticed anything. My labs, a year later were down but not in any significant way. A few points maybe at most.

You didn't say which antiviral you were on. That makes a difference.

Gingergrrl

There is also an "IRIS reaction" if as the anti-viral causes the virus to stop replicating, your own immune system kicks in and starts to fight the virus. I don't know enough about this to explain it well.

Gingergrrl

I have had similar feeling in these glands a few times throughout my illness but not often.

I meant to say I am taking famvir

@knackers323 I started on the same dose of Famvir as you (500 mg 2x/day) and after the first month we increased it to 500 mg 3x/day. I have never had sore glands in my neck since starting Famvir and only had this when I actually had mono in 2012. When I first started Famvir, I had headaches and facial pain as well as some pain under my ribs. However, this completely went away.

I am now on day 68 of Famvir and my doctor said it can take six months to really know if I am a responder. I got my EBV levels re-tested today (since I was doing some other tests, he threw that in!) but I don't expect to see a drop after only two months. I won't have the results until the end of the week. I view Famvir as relatively benign since people take it for herpes and shingles and that I am just taking it for EBV instead.

Last edited:

Charles555nc

Thanks

Reducing viral load can make it easier for your body to kill opportunistic bacteria, so some people may tell you that there wont be a die off reaction, but I have experienced some of my worst herxs from antivirals. Isentress for a positive XMRV test lead to a nearly month long, severe herx...but Benedryl works to reduce symptoms of my herx.

If you experienced some improvement, ask your doctor for a higher dose. I noticed alot more improvement after famvir than valtrex, if that is the medication your taking. Famvir is thought to work better intracellularly I think.

Only symptom I permanently lost was night sweats, and that was after taking Famvir for a month.

Gingergrrl

@Charles555nc How long did you take Famvir all together and at what dose (if you are comfortable sharing of course!) Were you taking it for EBV or other viruses? Thanks for any info.

Charles555nc

I think famvir was 2 or 3 pills a day, and yes it was for EBV and other viruses (coxsackie B virus, hhv6 etc).

I am not a big "test virus levels" person so I cannot tell you what got better other than my symptoms, and the only symptom improvement was in the night sweats area only.

Gingergrrl

@Charles555nc Thanks for your reply and I am also more interested in learning about people who had symptom improvement from anti-virals vs. just the numbers going down on paper. I don't care what the numbers say as long as I feel better!

JAM

Jill
Unlike antibiotics in certain illnesses (e.g., Lyme disease), antivirals do not provoke a die-off reaction. So the sore glands would not be a sign that the antiviral is working. As you said, they may not be related; for example, the sore glands may simply be a minor viral flare-up, or even a flare-up of a different virus. If the sore glands are related to the antiviral, they would most likely be a side effect of the antiviral. From your description, it doesn't sound like a serious side effect, but you should check the prescribing information for the antiviral (under Adverse Reactions) to see what its side effects and their severity are. Just Google "<antiviral name> prescribing information" to find it.

If the information isn't clear, or you still have questions, you should ask your doctor. Not knowing what antiviral you're taking and for what virus, it's hard to say more than this.

Most likely, but it depends on the antiviral, the virus, and the individual. The prescribing information should give you more information here; once again, if the information is insufficient, you should ask your doctor.

When an antiviral starts working, in the early stages, the changes are not noticeable. Later on, if the antiviral continues to be successful, the viral symptoms should decline.
It isn't a die-off, but the reaction feels the same. Several studies that I read while researching which anti-viral to try referred to a Herx reaction. I know that according to the original definition that is the incorrect term, but the definition seems to be broadening to include the reaction to anti-viral meds as well.