Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Titer conversion from decimals, anyone???

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by Pyr2, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Pyr2

Pyr2

Hi everyone, I notice most of you talk in titers, i.e. 1:256 or thousands, 2560. Does anyone know how to convert a decimal result? So would 2.5 be 2500? Thanks, I can't seem to get an answer on this and that's what my lab uses (decimals).

L

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

2.5 does not sound like a titre. A titre is a dilution that gives a positive result. So 1:256 means that you get a positive result even with diluting 256 times. A lot of tests reported with titres are also reported in terms of units of strength - using a different method for measuring the result that gives a quantity rather than a positive or negative.

In general you cannot compare one scale of result with another - not even for titres. So a titre of 1:256 in one lab does not mean a titre of 1:256 in another lab - it might be 1:64 or 1:100. It may be easier to answer if we know what the test is.

Valentijn likes this.
  3. Pyr2

Pyr2

Thanks Jonathan. I was looking at VCA IgG and EBV-EA D. Mine are 3.93 and 3.30 respectively.

I was reading a study where the individual was over quoted as over 5000 for VCA IgG, and had a EBV-EA of 1:640.

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

I don't think you can make any comparison. Each lab has a different scale. Your results look like ELISA measurements, which do not compare to titres in any direct way.

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    You can't compare the two because the testing methodology is totally different.

Titer testing uses serial dilution.

ELISA testing produces a number such as you describe.

Labcorp does both types of testing though.

Valentijn and halcyon like this.

See more popular forum discussions.