• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

tipping the grocery delivery person?

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
is it appropriate to tip them and how much? I did a search and found contradictory advice from 15-20% (I hope not; sorry but that's a lot to afford) to smaller amounts to not at all.

If you have groceries delivered, what do you do?

Calathea

I'm in the UK, where supermarkets charge a delivery fee for online shopping. So of course there's no need to tip the driver, the payment is already built in. What's the setup where you are, is it formal online shopping?

Ema

I never tipped any specific percentage amount but usually $1-2 dollars per container. Perhaps more if it was extra hot or I ordered something particularly heavy. Usually tip would end up around $5.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I did wonder about this when i started doing on line grocery shopping last year, but figured that as i already pay Tesco between £4 and £6 for the delivery then i shouldnt need to.
It may be different in other countries. If i had the same delivery person every week then i might give them a tip at christmas or something - like we used to with the milkman way back when.
Justy.

CJB

I've used several and they all prohibit tipping so I didn't have to worry 'bout it.

Enid

Like justy comes with a delivery charge fom the supermarket (in the UK). You may find tipping is not allowed as I tried once and it was turned down by the lady who runs the whole operation.(and goes for all - not even gifts allowed).

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I'm in the UK, where supermarkets charge a delivery fee for online shopping. So of course there's no need to tip the driver, the payment is already built in. What's the setup where you are, is it formal online shopping?

That was my first thought, but I realized (and the pages I looked at said this also) that the delivery fee may not necessarily go to the driver (they have to pay for the truck, gas, and the shopper to pick out your food--which I assume is someone different).

I've used several and they all prohibit tipping so I didn't have to worry 'bout it.

That's reassuring.

I settled on an amount to offer (based partly on what small bills I actually have atm, lol) and I'll see whether they accept or not.

Thanks, everyone. :)

Calathea

So are you assuming that the driver isn't being paid enough? If that's true, and I see no reason to assume it as default, then all the other people employed at that supermarket won't be getting paid enough either - do you tip your checkout assistant as well?