1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Time Magazine mentioned using Mouse Retroviruses in Stem Cell studies

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by greybeh, Nov 10, 2009.

1. greybeh

greybeh Guest

I hate to mention this because I know ZERO about biology but that's why I wanted to mention it here. I got stuck at the hospital yesterday (probably colitis, thankfully NOT gall bladder issues) - and I was reading TIME magazine of February 9, 2009.

An article by Alice Park lists on page 40-41 said that they were using mouse retroviruses in stem cell research. The title was "The Quest Resumes."

I just wonder if that could have even an ounce of significance. Why use mouse retroviruses? I'm not saying that stem cells have anything to do with our illness but maybe the retroviruses were used for other purposes in earlier years. Of course, one would assume that the mice are isolated from anyone who doesn't work in the lab.
  2. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Hi greybeh,

Here's the article online: Stem-Cell Research: The Quest Resumes

3. greybeh

greybeh Guest

Some images and text were not included on the online article. The part about the mouse retrovirus isn't there. :(
  4. Ruth

Ruth Member

Madison, WI
    How widespread is the use of mouse retroviruses to insert genes?

Here is another article referring to using mouse retrovirus to insert genes into skin cells as part of the process to create stem cells.

Notice the risks included ending up with multiple copies of the retrovirus in the resulting cells with unknown risks including cancer: http://ukhealthcare.uky.edu/publications/AI/general/stemcells.asp

From above:
    "Many of the new stem cells the scientists created carried multiple copies of the retrovirus, which could result in mutations and cancer."

Wasn't there something about multiple copies of XMRV found in some patients in recent studies?

See more popular forum discussions.