• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Time Magazine Article "How the Research Community Is Addressing the Reproducability Crisis"

Simon

The conclusion is worth reading:
Ivan Oransky in Time said:
Perhaps more important, however, is that researchers – and the public that funds many of them – realize that science is a process, and that all knowledge is provisional. “It’s not just naive to expect that all research will be perfectly free from errors,” writes Goldacre, “it’s actively harmful.” Journalists, take note.

Translated into policy, that means valuing replication efforts, which right now are essentially unfunded and hardly ever published. If we want scientists to validate others’ work, we’ll need to create grants to do that. That means digging up additional funding, but replicating a study costs a tiny fraction of what the original work does. Funding new studies based on those that turn out to be irreproducible…well, now that’s expensive.

read the full article: How the Research Community Is Addressing the ‘Reproducibility Crisis’ | TIME

user9876

Replication worries me a bit. I think two different things should be talked about
1) Simple replication - can someone reproduce an experiment. This does not mean the results are correct though as the methodology may be incorrect and they may just be reproducing the same error. Although my real objection here is that there is too much over-generalisation from an experiment and some may see a simple replication of supporting this over-generalisation. Take something like PACE I think it could be reproduced. What is should say is CBT/GET change the way patients answer specific questions.
2) Testing a hypothesis - This is a harder one but if we have a properly stated hypothesis then can alternative experiments be designed which will test the hypothesis. That is if we look at the theory can it be checked in different ways.

SilverbladeTE

Real Science is hard work, and takes a *GREAT DEAL OF TIME*
Nearly every damn thing we "know" now, or "knew" before, is *wrong*.
usually it's because over decades or more, things are shown to be more complex than originally thought
it's much rarer for the entire issue to be shown to be wrong.
Look at Physics for good examples.
With Physics there is far less of the greed, political and other bullshit that routinely perverts the medical research area.
Thus a good area to show how "today's heresy is tomorrow's orthodoxy" ;)

anciendaze

I want to warn people that emphasis on reproducibility can easily be exploited to make sure that those who have been getting funding for advocating a particular viewpoint will continue to benefit. You might check the history of questions about the health effects of cigarette smoking, and the role R.A. Fisher played, as a paid consultant of tobacco companies, in delaying recognition.