Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Time Magazine Article "How the Research Community Is Addressing the Reproducability Crisis"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Never Give Up, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Esther12, Bob, Sean and 2 others like this.
  2. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    The conclusion is worth reading:
    read the full article: How the Research Community Is Addressing the ‘Reproducibility Crisis’ | TIME

3. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

Replication worries me a bit. I think two different things should be talked about
    1) Simple replication - can someone reproduce an experiment. This does not mean the results are correct though as the methodology may be incorrect and they may just be reproducing the same error. Although my real objection here is that there is too much over-generalisation from an experiment and some may see a simple replication of supporting this over-generalisation. Take something like PACE I think it could be reproduced. What is should say is CBT/GET change the way patients answer specific questions.
    2) Testing a hypothesis - This is a harder one but if we have a properly stated hypothesis then can alternative experiments be designed which will test the hypothesis. That is if we look at the theory can it be checked in different ways.

4. Real Science is hard work, and takes a *GREAT DEAL OF TIME*
    Nearly every damn thing we "know" now, or "knew" before, is *wrong*.
    usually it's because over decades or more, things are shown to be more complex than originally thought
    it's much rarer for the entire issue to be shown to be wrong.
    Look at Physics for good examples.
    With Physics there is far less of the greed, political and other bullshit that routinely perverts the medical research area.
    Thus a good area to show how "today's heresy is tomorrow's orthodoxy" ;)

ahmo and Never Give Up like this.
  5. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

I want to warn people that emphasis on reproducibility can easily be exploited to make sure that those who have been getting funding for advocating a particular viewpoint will continue to benefit. You might check the history of questions about the health effects of cigarette smoking, and the role R.A. Fisher played, as a paid consultant of tobacco companies, in delaying recognition.

Battery Muncher, Sean and ahmo like this.

See more popular forum discussions.