• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Time for Action - easy daily advocacy campaign

mezombie

1089 emails were sent as of noon on Saturday according to Bob. Faxes and phone calls have been harder to track.

He'll report on the final figure at the CFSAC meeting.

Tuha

Collins is out of office - he got annoyed of the emails :)
"I will be away on official travel until October 17. Urgent matters should be brought to the attention of Susan Persons at . Should official actions be needed during this time, Dr. Larry Tabak (the Principal Deputy Director), has that authority.

Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D."

citybug

If anyone wants to write letters in addition, here are their addresses. I sent postcards. I can't help doing Kathleen Sebelius too.
I don't want to distract from emails first. Amazing totals! I forgot to cc yesterday.

Sec. Kathleen Sebelius
Health and Human Services
Room 120F
200 Independence Ave. S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20201

Dir. Francis S Collins
NIH
Building 1 - Shannon Building, 126
1 Center Dr
Bethesda, MD 20892

Dir.Anthony S. Fauci, M.D.
NIAID
Bldg. 31, Rm. 7A-03
31 Center Drive
MSC 2520
Bethesda, MD 20892-2520

RivkaRivka

GREAT. thank you, frank. i'm about to fax now!

do people see the patients and advocates sitting in the front row in the audience, right behind the presenter? they are wearing the t-shirts bob made that say (in neon green) "NIH, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME/CFS TODAY?" they plan to do an advocacy action during the public testimony time. please watch.

rebecca1995

Apple, anyone?
I meant to report earlier that I called both offices last week and it went really well. I kept each admin. assistant on the phone as long as possible--and they turned out to be quite sympathetic. I made sure they wrote down the famous question, then went into a lot more detail about my history. I gave information that was both personal (about my handicaps) and general, about how our government downplayed the disease by naming it "cfs" and how it may be caused by an infectious retrovirus that's in up to 7% of the blood supply.

The people I talked to said they had never even heard of this disease, but they are getting a lot of calls. They sounded pretty worried about me, to be frank.

My advice is to keep calling and to tie up their phone lines as long as you reasonably can. Tell your whole story to the people who answer AND to the communications office when they transfer you.