• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

tilt test question

I did a tilt test back I January my hr and Bp bottomed out meaning neurally mediated syncope but now I have symptoms of pots can you have both ? Cause now when I pass out my heart races but Bp bottoms out I'm confused.

Kati

Patient in training
If you pass out, you have syncope. The heart rate is a mere attempt at compensating for the drop in blood pressure.

It is possible you have both NMH and POTS. But the priority in treatment would be preventing you from passing out. Electrolyte drinks, and getting to vertical very slowly should be high in your priority list.

taniaaust1

Dont assume you have POTS just cause your heart is racing, there can be other things which can cause tachycardia too. POTS is specifically diagnosed by an abnormal heart rate increase within 10-12 mins of standing re a standing test after a stable laying down reading.

NMH and POTS do often go together though (not necessarily in same moment)... both are forms of dysautonomia (autonomic system not functioning correctly).

If you have a friend who can watch things... you can try a poor mans standing test to test yourself for POTS if you have a BP monitor or have your friend take your pulse during it. If you do have POTS, you should seek out treatment for that too.

I've been testing my Bp for a while now when I get up I record resting stand one minute then five minutes. Bp will drop a few points but hr would jump real high. Example 127/80 resting 69 bmp after five minutes it went to 117/70 with 115 bmp