Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Tick Bite = Meat Allergy…..

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by SDSue, Aug 7, 2014.

1. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    After a tick bite, these people can no longer eat red meat. What happens if things get really bad and they can no longer get out of bed. Are they crazy? Psychosomatic? Buying into the Chronic Lyme Disease "fraud"?

I'd like to be optimistic and hope that this story helps make Lyme legitimate in the eyes of the doubters. Time will tell. But in the meantime, I'm strangely encouraged by this story!

See full story here.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Kina, golden, xchocoholic and 2 others like this.
  2. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Wow, interesting story! I had never heard of this before. I am confused though, do these individuals now have Lyme Disease or is this a different kind of tick that just causes an allergic reaction to meat?

3. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

It sounds like it's transmitted independently of the Lyme bacteria, so someone could have the allergy without having Lyme disease, or Lyme disease without the meat allergy, or both at the same time.

4. Valentijn

Very interesting stuff ... it's showing that tick bites can likely trigger an ongoing immunity directly. One variety shown to do it is in Australia as well, where there's supposedly no Lyme disease. So that might reconcile the disagreement between "authorities" and patients there about tick bites triggering illness.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    justy likes this.
  5. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    The lone star tick is a different form of infection similar to lyme, I believe its called rocky mountain spotted fever. Lyme bacteria borrelia has also been known to cause red meat allergies. I take a lot of HCL and digestive enzymes with all my foods to avoid issues, thankfully red meat hasn't been a big issue. There is too many nutrients I get from it to be able to swear it off.

6. Valentijn

No, the lone star tick is not an infection. It can carry infections. But it can also directly secrete a certain sugar into the blood of the host it's feeding on, which triggers the ongoing immune reaction.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    SOC likes this.
  7. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    It's not an autoimmune reaction. The tick bite sensitizes certain people to develop an *allergy* to a component of red meat (alpha-gal) that's not present in humans. (I would guess that the tick bites an animal, and then a person, and some of the previous meal gets into the person.) Those people develop a food allergy to red meats.

There's something similar involving pork and cats.

Valentijn likes this.
  8. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
  9. Valentijn

Good point :p I guess I just was thinking "autoimmune" because it's triggering an odd immune reaction against something which is so normal and even necessary.

10. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    The lone star tick doesn't carry any infections, either. Not that people are going to bother identifying what kind of tick is biting them.

11. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Rocky mountain spotted fever is also carried by different ticks, mostly the American dog tick and the Rocky Mountain wood tick.

12. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    … that we know of. ;)

See more popular forum discussions.