Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Thyroid

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by wastwater, Oct 14, 2014.

1. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Does anyone know of any other conditions where the thyroid can be effected without antibodies,the only one I can think of is bipolar depression but I don't know enough about it to know if it typically involves antibodies.

2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

You might find this or this helpful.

3. somatoform

somatoform

The autoimmune disease Hashimoto's does not present with antibodies in approximatley 30% of cases I believe.

4. CantThink

CantThink Senior Member

England, UK
    Viral attack on thyroid can cause thyroiditis - my mother suffered from this (I read 95% recover thyroid function within 18 months of initial attack, but she didn't). Pregnancy and post partum also can affect it. Certain medications including lithium can impact the thyroid as well.

5. stridor

stridor Senior Member

Powassan, Ontario
    Mercury toxicity.

6. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I found that high nitrate and salicylate vegetables/greens affected my thyroid more negatively than said "goitrogens".

I reversed it with magnesium supplementation and now I can eat those foods again with no apparent detrimental effect on my thyroid.

izzy

Little Bluestem and CantThink like this.
  7. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    thanks for the replys.I thought of one that's not likely relevant radiation

8. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    c Amp can effect thyroid

9. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

zzz likes this.
  10. redaxe

redaxe Senior Member

Have you had your iodine levels checked for defiency? Iodine is a building block of thyroid hormones as well as being needed in other biological roles. Many soils are very deficient in iodine and this will lead to dietary deficiency.

Apparently iodised salt is not enough to overcome deficiency and the modern additions of chlorine & fluroide to drinking water and bromine in bread baking has made iodine deficiencies more frequent.

11. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I know that radiation destroys the thyroid but I didn't think it was relevant for most people with ME.I was looking for a different way it could be affected,I don't know much about cAMP but I think thyroid could be affected in this way.

12. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    My cAMP explaination goes as far as typing in cAMP and Thyroid.I was hoping someone with more knowledge could investigate it.

See more popular forum discussions.