Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Thyroid meds and heart palpitations?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by alice111, Jul 23, 2015.

1. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
    Any advice on how to deal with this?

I need the thyroid meds... Am hypo without. But when I add I get heart palps.

Any thoughts?

2. cb2

cb2 Senior Member

not sure if this applies to you but when i first started on thyroid meds i coudn't tolerate them.. but when i added cortef i could .. i needed adrenal support.

3. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I also found that I couldn't raise my thyroid rx when my adrenals were distressed, led to palpitations, insomnia. Once adrenals were happy, was able to increase. In my case, supporting adrenals meant dealing with liver, for which I used coffee enemas. When liver was uncongested, adrenals were less stressed. I also used to use Enzymatic Therapies adrenal glandulars, once licorice and cortef became problematic. I no longer need them, but found adrenal glandulars brilliant.

Mary likes this.
  4. zzz

zzz Senior Member

Oregon
    I have found that the difference between too little thyroid medication and too much can be very small indeed. For years, I took exactly 22 mcg of T4, as any less than that was not enough, and the standard 25 mcg tablet was too much, as it would give me hyperthyroid symptoms. (I reached this dose by alternating a full tablet and 3/4 of a tablet on succeeding days.)

My guess is that your thyroid medication is dosed just a little too high. You might want to try reducing it just a tiny bit; that could very possibly solve your problem and still get you the thyroid supplementation that you need.

maryb likes this.
  5. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
    @cb2 how much cortef did u take? I was on cortef but had to come off as it made heart palps worse.. :confused:

6. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
    @ahmo when u refer to adrenal glandulars being brilliant is this the enzymatic therapy brand? Do u know if it has hormones removed, or it's just plain adrenal glandular?

7. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
    @zzz this is good suggestion, however I seem to get the heart palps even on a dose that gives me very hypo lab tests. The dose I'm ok on result in extremely hypo lab tests... Thoughts?

8. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Enzymatic Therapies: Contains both Adrenal Cortex & Whole Adrenal

There are other brands that list Adrenal cortex only.

9. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
    ahmo likes this.
  10. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @alice111 Are you taking a T3 + T4 combo like Armour or just one or the other. I found getting the right dose very fiddly too and my doc had me alternating doses too. I very much understand the heart palp business as between my regular thyroid tests my thryroid seems to have healed...but I was still taking a small dose of Armour as I didn't know that the thyroid had healed and it made my hyper-throid = the ER for Afib.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  11. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
  12. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Alice, I had the same question as Sushi if you are taking Armour Thyroid vs. a product like Synthroid?

13. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
    @Gingergrrl and @Sushi i am taking ERFRA which is dedicated thyroid.. The Canadian equivalent to armour

Sushi and Gingergrrl like this.
  14. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
    Do any of u have experience / success with t3 only? The synthetic kind?

15. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I don't know what ERFRA is but I have been taking Armour Thyroid since Nov 2013 for Hashimoto's Disease and have never had any problems with it. I take half of the lowest dose every morning 7.5 mg and my thyroid numbers are all perfect now plus the two Hashi's antibodies have dramatically reduced. I am doing terrible in every other aspect but at least my thyroid does well with Armour LOL. Not sure if this helps or not. Thanks for your very kind PM, Alice, and I hope you start to feel better soon. You deserve it.

alice111 likes this.
  16. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

17. msf

msf Senior Member

Sorry, I'm going to sound ignorant here, but do any of you associate sore throats with thyroid problems? I am worried about developing thyroid problems, and I noticed that after eating sea weed yesterday I have a sore throat today and I feel like I have some pain where the thyroid is supposed to be. I realise that this could just be a cold, but I did find one thing on the internet that talked about damage to the thyroid causing a sore throat feeling.

18. cb2

cb2 Senior Member

alice111@ i take bwt 25 and 30 HC. . i started lower and had to increase. i am still trying to figure out what is the correct dose.

See more popular forum discussions.