Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Thyroid Hormone Reduces Afib (at least in rats).

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Ema, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    New York Institute of Technology. "Thyroid hormones reduce animal cardiac arrhythmias." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 10 December 2014. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141210140838.htm>.

2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

@Ema

Do you have a direct link to this? I went to the page and it gave complicated instructions to find the article. Maybe I'll try later today when hopefully I will be less foggy. Perhaps some caffeine would help?

Thanks

Barb

3. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Replying as a human (most of the time that is), thyroid hormones can also be a risk for Afib unless they are really well calibrated. For me, I was taking a low dose, checking every few months, but my ME treatment caused hormone function to improve rather rapidly and I became hyperthyroid without knowing it--until I had to go to the ER with extreme Afib.

Sushi

Wayne and zzz like this.
  4. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

@Sushi

That's why I was asking about this study as it seems counterintuitive.

At one time, I was hyperthyroid, it runs in my family, and it was quite scary. Fortunately, there was no damage to my heart, but I was also very young. This is why I find it disturbing when people play around with their dosage based only on how they feel.

Of course there are the gray areas where a clinical decision has to be made whether watchful waiting or a low dose of thyroid medicaion is needed. But this decision needs to be made by a patient and his or her endocrinologist, who has had years of specialized training to decide a treatment plan.

I am now hypothyroid and because my levels of medication have needed to be raised more than most people in the same amout of time, I am tested every three months.

Barb

Sushi likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.