1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Thyroid attack

Discussion in 'Thyroid Dysfunction' started by wastwater, May 7, 2013.

1. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Whats attacking the thyroid in some cases of ME/cfs,if its not antibodies as per hashimotos.I wonder if this too could be attacking or affecting the brain.Maybe its interleukin-2
  2. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    Yes, some kind of cytokine, probably. IL-6 maybe.
  3. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I recently started T3 treatment so have been reading up on they thyroid. I am fairly sure I read something about cytokines being part of the problem. I only take notes on what is related to my treatment, so I don't know what or where.
  4. beaker

beaker CFS/ME 1986

USA
    There is a type of thyroiditis called IIT (Interferon Induced Thyroiditis). It is a side effect of taking alpha interferon as a treatment. Maybe this is what you read and were thinking about ?
    My understanding is that interferon-a is usually low in this illness. But maybe there is some sort of similar action going on. I guess w/ our crazy immune systems who knows.

btw. I took it. I got it.
    wastwater likes this.
  5. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I got the idea from reading oslers web dr cheney said there were very high levels of interleukin-2 in the patients due to presumed unknown virus.I also noticed its a common side effect of cancer treatment where interleukin-2 is given along with severe depression

See more popular forum discussions.