• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Throat problems?

I've never had this before but just recently I've had a horrible feeling of something large stuck in my throat/esophagus. Before it felt like it was upper now it went down and it's painful when I swallow. I used to have awful acid reflux and this time it happened when I ate gluten and maybe that's what did it? Thankfully I'm going to see a GI in a couple weeks and then get an endoscopy. I hate this feeling and pray it goes away. Has anyone with CFS had throat problems?

I've been having a perpetual sore throat lately, went to the doctor and they said it looked fine as far as any infections go. It's been slowly going away, in my case I think it was caused by postnasal drip from a cold that is taking a while to go away - for me it's more itchy than painful at this point.

Hip

I've never had this before but just recently I've had a horrible feeling of something large stuck in my throat/esophagus.

You might want to consider globus sensation = the feeling of a lump in your throat even though there is no lump present when the throat is examined.

hellytheelephant

I've never had this before but just recently I've had a horrible feeling of something large stuck in my throat/esophagus. Before it felt like it was upper now it went down and it's painful when I swallow. I used to have awful acid reflux and this time it happened when I ate gluten and maybe that's what did it? Thankfully I'm going to see a GI in a couple weeks and then get an endoscopy. I hate this feeling and pray it goes away. Has anyone with CFS had throat problems?

Hi, I had perpetual throat and sinus problems and now I don't eat gluten I don't, so maybe the gluten is the problem for you.

I also have acid reflux- it got so bad with the stomach acid in my esophaegus, that I lost my voice repeatedly and could hardly eat it was unbelievably painful. The endoscopy is a really good idea as it will give a clear picture about what is going on- although DO opt for sedation. I have a hernia which I have to manage or I start losing my voice, feeling short of breath etc. BTW: if you are worrying about it then that will make the reflux worse....

Good luck!