Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Three Major Controversies in Neurology: A Debate"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Asa, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Asa

Asa Senior Member

Medscape: "Three Major Controversies in Neurology: A Debate"

1. Gene-Sequencing in Neurology? Yea/Nay

2. Stem Cell Clinical Trials? Yea/Nay

3. Opioids for Chronic Pain? Yea/Nay

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/844694_6

Just thinking of how societal trends affect individuals with ME:

For example--the classic, women-are-hysterical mindset (and of course the only thing worse than an hysterical woman is a man who "acts" like an hysterical woman).

Plus, an epidemic of western obesity means only bad, lazy, or mentally-ill people complain about an exercise regime.

And finally, an epidemic of opioid abuse means only bad, lazy, or mentally-ill people resist instruction by specially-trained, state-certified experts, who possess secret and superior knowledge that can only be ascertained through them.

Edit: See also--P2P The Role of Opioids in the Treatment of Chronic Pain (2014 - alongside ME/CFS P2P)
    https://prevention.nih.gov/docs/programs/p2p/ODPPainPanelStatementFinal_10-02-14.pdf

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Snow Leopard and ahmo like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    My answer to all questions are: it depends, decide on case by case basis.

I believe those who have black/white thinking towards those questions are likely to be wrong.

SOC, Snowdrop, lnester7 and 1 other person like this.
  3. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Funny thing is, one of the reasons there are so many opiod deaths is, the US largely banned morphine and totally banned diamorphine (heroin) for pain relief because of the sexually repressed, moronic, lunatic hypocrisy of the religious Prohibition/War on Drugs lobby!
    so they turned to different treatments which are WAY more addictive and toxic.

Britain uses morphine for chronic pain relief (in form of Tramadol mostly), and heroin for trauma/end of life and particularly severe pain treatments with very little addiction/death problems
    except for criminals/addicts who steal Tramadol for their drug abuse but that's a specific and limited problem. Round my way, they drink Buckfast (very potent fortified wine with more caffeine than 6 cans of coke!) mixed with tramadol and valium....few live very long doing that but it's form of severe addiction that does NOT come from medical use of opiods.
    They are addicts first and foremost, nearly always through serious mental health problems, who look for whatever substance they can find to shut up the nightmares and fears in their heads.
    there but for the grace of God go I....I get "oot ma heid" in book or games. Known those poor bastards and the majority are NOT bad folk just seriously messed up with little hope and they don't care if they die :(

ahmo and jimells like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The problem is that simplistic interpretation of evidence based medicine, which is a favourite of insurance and large health care providers, tends toward black and white thinking.

ahmo likes this.
  5. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    What is wrong with you proposing common sense?!!!!!
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Isn't it amazing how people can be so damn stupid.???? (Doctors not using their common sense)

ahmo and alex3619 like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Doctors are so bound up in regulations and restrictions, I wonder if they are allowed to have sense. As for common, well, I wonder if it should be renamed uncommon sense.

One thing that strikes me is the absence of the biggest controversy in neurology: the validity of "all in your mind" explanations.

7. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    My niece is an opiate addict. I'm sure by now everyone considers it to be her fault, since she won't (or can't) follow the "recovery" regimes that seldom seem to work, except to enrich the clinic owners.

Her original problem started in high school with endometrioses. This was compounded by a series of apparently incompetent surgeons. After a competent doctor finally fixed the original problem, she was left with the opiate addiction.

The pattern in the US seems to be that doctors just keep increasing dosage until they panic and then the patient is cut off from legal access and told to enter a "recovery program". At that point the doctor has transferred responsibility for the troublesome patient to somebody else.

Since these newly-created "druggies" are probably not familiar with the black market drug scene, it seems obvious to me that they will soon get into trouble or OD.

But who cares about a bunch a druggies anyway? That's what we have urban ghettos and prisons for...

8. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Jimells
    saw that Claudia Christian, the actress, is an alcoholic, finally found a treatment that helped, alas can't recall name off hand but sure a Google will show it. A drug that breaks the link between a substance and the effects in the brain.

very interesting stuff, don't know if it will work on opiates, but certainly worth checking for your relative? :)

yeah, sorry, but US has become a police state, very opposite of it's original intent, sigh, and the swine make it so, so they can profit off prisoners, private jails
    Oh FFS, there's damn good reason privately run prisons were got rid of a long time ago here, and it's turning to concentration camps, as prisoners can't bargain for wages, are desperate to do stuff not to be bored, so the corporations are investing heavily in prison work...

Tiananmen Square + Walmart.....profit from concentration camps selling cheap goods in the US, that sparked off a controversy years ago
    there's no difference with US prisoners now, many of whom are innocent or their sentences vastly over done/cruel or deliberately evil to keep them as slaves.

Only people who should be getting life sentences are really serious dangers to the Public, or the most evil and debased scumbags.
    Hey there's some gits who I'd weld into a cell personally, but far more are nothing like that. Just messed up, stupid or framed.
    Now you have scandals of judges being bribed to falsely imprison children/youths, which has been proven in court, and the swine finally given hard sentences, originally the ex-judge gits were gonna get a few months in open jail!

Make drugs legal and you'd halve the murders in the US, save a great many people from being harmed or killed by adulterated street drugs etc. But oh noes!! the "Puritan Pitbull Plonkers" want to ban everything they think is "sinful"...them and the Taleban are same kind of lunatics we can all do without, sigh.

See more popular forum discussions.