• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Those of you who are completely disabled

Jill

Thanks for that. The carers were good but he couldn't cope with the daily shower schedules so we had to flag that . There's a dr from the service that phd once and said he didn't know anything about ME and said he'd come and see him when he got a bit better. He was Indian and we could barely understand what he said . Hopeless - that guy is going to get a kick up the arse by my letter writing! He will be being paid out of the public purse for the hour he's not doing - just shocking . This city has gone to the dogs in last 10 years

KitCat

be yourself. everyone else is already taken.
Thanks for that. The carers were good but he couldn't cope with the daily shower schedules so we had to flag that . There's a dr from the service that phd once and said he didn't know anything about ME and said he'd come and see him when he got a bit better. He was Indian and we could barely understand what he said . Hopeless - that guy is going to get a kick up the arse by my letter writing! He will be being paid out of the public purse for the hour he's not doing - just shocking . This city has gone to the dogs in last 10 years

Hi Jill,

I am not sure I understand. was he in the program and stopped? were they forcing him to take daily showers??? How long ago was this?

I know many people in this program in the US who use the the self-directed option.

With the self-directed option, you get to choose your own carers and decide what they do when.

In new zealand it's not called self-directed. As far as I can tell, it appears to be called "individualised funding"

I think this is the info on the self-directed option for new zealand:

http://www.health.govt.nz/your-heal...pes-disability-support/individualised-funding

It appears to me that he can hire anyone he wants, except people he live with and not his parents or spouse.

In the US they let you hire someone you live with, but I guess they don't in New Zealand. But it can be a friend, family member, neighbor, etc.

The government pays the salary. Is that how it worked when he was in the program?

I wonder if this would be a better option for him. (or for you, if you are needing this kind of help)

It also pays for things like cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, laundry, etc. Are those the services he was getting?

Last edited: