Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Thorne B complex

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Jodie28, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Jodie28

Jodie28

Hello,

I have a question about the Thorne Basic Bcomplex. The one I have used untill now has Ca-5-methyltetrahydrofolate. I wanted to order new Thorne Basic Bcomplex, but now it says 5 MTHF (quatrefolic) on the bottle. Is this both the same ingredient, but just another name?

Thank you very much for your answers

Greetings, Jodie

2. mgk

mgk Senior Member

Technically, they're not the same, but should have comparable efficacy. If you're really sensitive to the amount of folate, you may notice a difference, but really the differences are more technical than practical.

Just for completeness, here's the technical part. Ca-5-methyltetrahydrofolate or Metafolin is the calcium salt of levomefolic acid (the thing we care about), whereas Quatrefolic is the glucosamine salt. So they both contain the same substance, just bound to a different carrier.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  3. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Just curious! - I thought I had read somewhere that unless "L" or "6S" in the label that it is the racemic version and contains both the "6S" (active) and the "6R" (inactive) isomers. I'm not sure if side effects or absorption issues are associated with the "6R" isomer or not.

Maybe someone can answer this???

I would be a little surprised if "Thorne" used what might be considered as a less active product though!

4. mgk

mgk Senior Member

Thank you, you're right, I should have been more careful about that. The "L" or "6S" is crucial. I can't seem to find a picture of the old bottle, but I'm guessing it says Ca-L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate. If it's Ca-5 then some portion of it could be inactive like you said.

Quatrefolic is a brand name for "L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid, Glucosamine Salt", so if it says Quatrefolic, you're good to go. Similar thing for Metafolin.

There's a lot more information here: http://mthfr.net/l-methylfolate-methylfolate-5-mthf/2012/04/05/

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Jennifer J and August59 like this.
  5. TheWig

TheWig

Quatrefolic is :thumbsup: [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid Glucosamine Salt.

August59 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.