1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

This will help people with long term antibiotics

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Omar88, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Omar88

Omar88 Senior Member

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130703160623.htm#.UeMoI7a48Ew.facebook

A team of scientists at the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University has discovered why long-term treatment with many common antibiotics can cause harmful side effects -- and they have uncovered two easy strategies that could help prevent these dangerous responses. They reported the results in the July 3rd issue of Science Translational Medicine.

Guys you must read this !!
    merylg likes this.
  2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I wonder if using glutathione directly would work too or if it has to be NAC?

Interesting!

Ema
  3. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    "Biologically-Inspired Engineering", eh? Not plain ole Bio-engineering? Only at Harvard. ;)
  4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    It the NAC protects the body cells from oxidative stress, why does it not do the same for the bacteria?
  5. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    I don't think the mechanism of the antibiotics is oxidative stress. So the antibiotics would be killing bacteria by stopping them from making cell walls (most common mechanism), or stopping them from using ribosomes so they can no longer use their DNA to 'keep the lights on' in the cell (so to speak; this is called 'housekeeping' in cell biology), or other such major disruptions in function.

article covering side effects of NAC and linking to research articles on the efficacy of NAC in various diseases:
    http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/n-acetylcysteine
    Valentijn, Little Bluestem and SOC like this.

See more popular forum discussions.