1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

This Requires A Very Good Explanation

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by KFG, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
  2. dipic

dipic Senior Member

Oh, that so? I wonder who you might be then, Mr./Ms. Ecoclimber.
    currer likes this.
  3. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I was fine until you started saying that!

But now, as you say that louder and louder, I'm beginning to think that there might be some reason why I should give up hope!

;)
    currer likes this.
  4. Doogle

Doogle Senior Member

Honestly, I don't understand all this "them over at that forum vs. us in this forum" mentality. Hurling accusations at each other is futile. What's done is done.

We're all in the same boat. IMO we need to support each other and intelligently and respectfully discuss the best way to support whatever will find a cure for OUR illness.

If we divide into quarreling factions we just give up our power to the Wessely and Reeves groups. So stop it, please. :Sign Peace:
  5. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I'm convinced that ecoclimber has inside knowledge about the end of the world. I think that's why he keeps telling us not to give up hope.

I totally agree.

Many of us don't go over to the other forums, for various reasons.

So it's quite painful for us to have to watch arguements from the other forum played out on this forum.

It's totally inappropriate to bring personal arguements over here.

We don't know what you are talking about, and we aren't interested.
    busybee, Nielk and leaves like this.
  6. markmc20001

markmc20001 Guest

I'm blown away at the combativeness of the whole situation. What is going on here would never fly in the private business sector. It seems to me the situation is more like war than collaboration.

If this were a genuine effort to help ME/CFS patients and prevent disease, this whole situation would have been handled totally differently. A simple email to Judy would have worked for this slide mix up and that would be the end of it.

How this situation has been handled should be extremely embarrassing to not only Abbie Smith, but the anonymous scientist feeding Abbie such stuff and endorsing this behavior. The dean at University of Oklahoma should also be embarrassed at this kind of non-sense.

This situation is beyond ridiculous.
    leela, Glynis Steele, jace and 6 others like this.
  7. dipic

dipic Senior Member

I would "Like" the hell out of this post, but it tells me that I "must have atleast 10 posts before being able to rate posts", despite being well over that. Might as well considering it's been ages since I stopped posting here.
  8. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    dipic, I "liked it for you--well, also for myself because I do. Hey, welcome back!
  9. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    3 October 2011: http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/chi-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-paper-10032011,0,6792877.story

Manipulation alleged in paper linking virus, chronic fatigue syndrome

Extracts:

'The report included a figure purporting to depict lab test results from seven blood samples, including two from chronic fatigue syndrome patients whose blood appears to show evidence of XMRV and five from healthy people whose blood does not.

But the leader of the team that authored the 2009 paper, researcher Judy Mikovits, apparently presented the same figure -- carrying different labels and supporting a different point -- in a talk given at a conference on Sept. 23 in Ottawa.

A copy of her PowerPoint presentation circulating among an email group also reveals an apparent third version of the image, with a third set of labels, when formatting is turned off.

"As is our policy in cases of alleged figure manipulation, we will follow up with the research authors as soon as our own review of the allegation is complete," the editors of Science wrote in a statement. "In particular, we will request additional information from the authors as one of the next steps."'

'Institute president Annette Whittemore said in a statement that the institute was also looking into the allegations.

"It is our understanding that some patient ID numbers may have been changed to a new set of coded numbers during the research to protect their privacy before publication," Whittemore said. "We will work with Science in hopes of addressing their concerns and to gain a full understanding of the cause of any potential discrepancies."'
  10. currer

currer Senior Member

Firestormm, I think this report is just sensationalism. I dont like seeing it here. Do we need to publicise this rubbish?
    Bob, OverTheHills and jace like this.
  11. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    Thank you for this doodle.

And I hope you notice I HAVE NOT SLUNG accusations at anyone. I was involved in a serious debate with people. That was derailed by some egregious attacks on my integrity by the likes of ecoclimber and kjm.

SOC- what forum rule-breaking do you think I've engaged in exactly?

I will also say that, on this forum, it seems certain people are fair game when it comes to flaming. The civilised tone police go very quiet when these people become victims of this.

Now- that would be fine. I can defend myself. It's when THEN I or others become 'disciplined' for retaliating or defending oneself (sometimes- not given a reason! Just told if one doesn't understand then they clearly should not be on this forum) that the inconsistency rankles.

Moderator: forum rules state:

Please comply with the rules. Failure to report may result decreased moderation because we can't read everything.

Thank you Currer. Next up - Trine the food writer writes about a professor's spelling mistake in his PhD thesis, 20 years ago. Abbie Smith is hoping for a fast-track tenure based on her discovery of said spelling mistake...

One problem - I've been a member of this forum for longer than I have the 'other' forum. I don't want to shock you, but i'm a member of both forums! I haven't migrated anywhere!

12. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

Thread re-opened.

Further violation of forum rules in this thread will result in immediate suspension without warning
    due to necessary moderation expediency.

Reminders from the rules:

Now, who would like to help get this thread back to the topic of the issues presented? :Retro smile:
  13. Doogle

Doogle Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.