1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

This article sums up concerns about Glyphosate

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by Forebearance, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Forebearance

Forebearance Senior Member

Great Plains, US
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    To recap, glyphosate = roundup. Its completely absorbed into the plant, so cannot be washed off. Its used on genetically engineered crops that are enhanced to be resistant to it, and sometimes in high amounts. The concern is that it may be even more of a risk for Alzheimers than DDT.

There is also an hypothesis it might cause autism.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Radio and SilverbladeTE like this.
  3. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
  4. Christopher

Christopher Senior Member

Pennsylvania
  5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    Turns out, hubris kills . . . slowly.
    SilverbladeTE likes this.
  6. Vegas

Vegas Senior Member

Virginia
    I think the interference of glyphosate in bacterial metabolism is perhaps the most consequential adverse effect of using this agent. Glyphosate is a glycine analogue with potential to disturb the folate cycle. Its effects on intestinal commensals has been proven, The bacterial organisms need these nutrients as well.

As an aside, I have seen a patient who had the misfortune of being "oversprayed" with glyphosate; The crop sprayer was not told this gentleman was going to be in the area when they started spraying from the air, While this was not an incidental exposure, the toxicity quickly became evident. He subsequently developed debilitating symptoms, fatigue, chemical sensitivities, and liver failure. As I recall, he was too sick to get a liver transplant.

Curr Microbiol. 2013 Apr;66(4):350-8. doi: 10.1007/s00284-012-0277-2. Epub 2012 Dec 9.
    The effect of glyphosate on potential pathogens and beneficial members of poultry microbiota in vitro.
    Shehata AA, Schrödl W, Aldin AA, Hafez HM, Krüger M.
    Author information
    Abstract

The use of glyphosate modifies the environment which stresses the living microorganisms. The aim of the present study was to determine the real impact of glyphosate on potential pathogens and beneficial members of poultry microbiota in vitro. The presented results evidence that the highly pathogenic bacteria as Salmonella Entritidis, Salmonella Gallinarum, Salmonella Typhimurium, Clostridium perfringens and Clostridium botulinum are highly resistant to glyphosate. However, most of beneficial bacteria as Enterococcus faecalis, Enterococcus faecium, Bacillus badius, Bifidobacterium adolescentis and Lactobacillus spp. were found to be moderate to highly susceptible. Also Campylobacter spp. were found to be susceptible to glyphosate. A reduction of beneficial bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract microbiota by ingestion of glyphosate could disturb the normal gut bacterial community. Also, the toxicity of glyphosate to the most prevalent Enterococcus spp. could be a significant predisposing factor that is associated with the increase in C. botulinum-mediated diseases by suppressing the antagonistic effect of these bacteria on clostridia
  7. JPV

JPV Senior Member

Interesting, according to a hair test I took some time ago, I'm deficient in both Manganese and Iron (amongst other minerals).

I've been experimenting with supplementing with both, over the last few weeks, with modest success. I feel better when taking Manganese and it seems to be fixing some of my Circadian Rhythm issues and problems with Carbohydrates.

Thanks to this thread, I did some searching and came across this...

Definitely something to think about.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  8. Forebearance

Forebearance Senior Member

Great Plains, US
    My gosh, Vegas. How horrifying.

Wow, that is something, JPV.
    I also take manganese because it helps the detox pathway work, according to Dr. Yasko.

See more popular forum discussions.