• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thirst for MFolate, those that have ramped up

Johnmac

Just to kind of put a lid on this topic (LCF crashes) nearly a year later:

Fred was right about getting rid of my LCF, & going low on liquid carnitine & titrating up. That solved my problem of frequent, horrendous crashes.

It seems that way too much carnitine was driving the whole thing, but it was aided & abetted by folate. Even without carnitine folate could crash me, if it was within a week or 2 of my last LCF dose. Now folate doesn't crash me, presumably because there isn't enough carnitine in me to help it.

Now on very small doses of liquid carnitine things are much more manageable: if I feel a little of the old tension I just scale it back. On 400 times my present 2mg dose, that wasn't possible: I had too much carnitine swimming round your system, & crashed & burned regardless.

My other big problem on the Freddd Protocol was that several times my big gains disappeared in time. However actually practising the protocol solved that one: scaling up as sfx arose or old symptoms came back. I'm now on 7mg folate/day, which seems fine for me. My chronic fatigue, hypothyroidism, hypoadrenalism, DHEA deficiency, blood-sugar problems & gut are all 80% to 100% better than mid-year.

Apologies again to @sregan for hijacking this thread - it's hard to keep perspective on things when you are feeling wretched & the walls are closing in.

Hi Johnmac,

The anxiety-depression/despair set of symptoms is a tip-off. That is a frequent variation of how people react. It usually happens when their AdoCbl-Carnitine end of things has been more deficient than the MeCbl-Metafolin side. Things are more hung up on the ATP side than the methylation side. The "variation" is on which part of the deadlock quartet is more affected. "Feathered", old language for nursing a balky engine to life by adjusting the throttle and choke where too much stops it and too little stops it. The happy medium varies and it takes effort to get a working balance. The Jarrow liquid carnitine is free-base and generally works for both ALCAR and LCF needing people. The carnitine takes effect quickly. One way to speed up the titration is each hour take a drop (1:98 drop). If that doesn't bring it up, the next day 2 drops each time. When you get to 3 drops of the 1:98 you can substitute 1 of the 1:32 drops for 3 of the previous. The anxiety appears on the uphill. increasing serum level, and the depression is on the drop down after peak. You may have a reaction at 200mcg or not until 20mg or who knows. That is the purpose of titration, to approach gently a startup point so as not to go uncomfortably fast and hard.

Freddd

Just to kind of put a lid on this topic (LCF crashes) nearly a year later:

Fred was right about getting rid of my LCF, & going low on liquid carnitine & titrating up. That solved my problem of frequent, horrendous crashes.

It seems that way too much carnitine was driving the whole thing, but it was aided & abetted by folate. Even without carnitine folate could crash me, if it was within a week or 2 of my last LCF dose. Now folate doesn't crash me, presumably because there isn't enough carnitine in me to help it.

Now on very small doses of liquid carnitine things are much more manageable: if I feel a little of the old tension I just scale it back. On 400 times my present 2mg dose, that wasn't possible: I had too much carnitine swimming round your system, & crashed & burned regardless.

My other big problem on the Freddd Protocol was that several times my big gains disappeared in time. However actually practising the protocol solved that one: scaling up as sfx arose or old symptoms came back. I'm now on 7mg folate/day, which seems fine for me. My chronic fatigue, hypothyroidism, hypoadrenalism, DHEA deficiency, blood-sugar problems & gut are all 80% to 100% better than mid-year.

Apologies again to @sregan for hijacking this thread - it's hard to keep perspective on things when you are feeling wretched & the walls are closing in.

Hi Johnmac,

I found for me, missing one dose of the 3 a day of methylfolate causes me problems. If I di it two days in a row I start getting deficiency symptoms. My compliance to the protocol has to be 99+% for all sorts of thing. Missing 2 doses a few times a month brings my MCV up instead of holding steady or going down. Right now it is the lowest I ever remember it being, certainly the lowest in the past 30 years or so. My kidneys didn't start improving until at least 8mg of Metafolin and in the past 2 months with copper and 28.8 mg of Metafolin has brought half of all kidney improvement I have seen in 8+ years. If it does the same in the next 2 few months my kidneys will be fully operational. The kidneys, and who knows what else, appears to be in the last folate/B12 internal triage levels.