• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thinking of trying Kefir

snowathlete

I'm thinking of trying making kefir in coconut milk or something like that. Not done it before, but my gut needs some help at the moment and although I take some probiotics already, I want to increase the number of strains I get. As well as the kefir grains, I heard that you can add some probiotic strains to it as well to grow those too?

Anyway, thinking of trying something along these lines. Anyone got any wisdom regarding kefir?

Seven7

Seven
I use it, I buy it lactose 99% free on health store, I don't particularly have nothing much to say good or bad. I use it to support my gut health but I do take breaks, I simply crave it from time to time then I stop wanting it, so I follow my body. I do mix it with colostrum hypoallergenic.

helen1

Kefir contains lactobacillus strains, so if you need those, great, but what if you already have too many of those? that was the case for me, so stopped yogurt and kefir and started taking only bifido strain probiotics as I had almost none of those.
I would get a stool analysis first to see if you're low in lactobacilli.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I am the kefir guy. I was drinking one liter of raw goat milk kefir last year everyday. It tasted amazing, pasteurized tastes bad. I have even done enemas of it in my desperation. Water kefir is the *second* that tastes the better (raw milk is unbeatable for me) and is the least inflammatory. Coconut I hate it plus gives me gut pain and dairy does not directly give me pain but obviously is bad for leaky gut. I got my grains from yemoos and they are great, I plan to start again doing water kefir and use some of the kefir to multiply my fermented vegetables.

Coconut milk kefir is the food that has made me gag more in my life.

Kefir is mainly lactobacilli which some CFS people have already too high, but it also has beneficial yeasts.

Last edited:
I gave up all dairy to get rid of Candida, but refused to give up my milk kefir (basically because I already knew how to do it and had it). I get an immediate energy surge from it (assume the B's?). I will never give it up as it is one thing I know that contributes to my overall health. I suppose it isn't for all, but for me it is a staple.

snowathlete

I've had a stool test before and my lactobacillus was ok at 0.4% (<1)
Though that was earlier this year before I started abx treatment for Bartonella.
My probiotics are mainly bifido I think, which was absent! 0 (>5)

I'm planning on another test in a couple of months time to see what is what. I had too much of some bad stuff that's for sure. Ideally I'd like to get a broad range of good strains if possible which is why I was wondering about growing from probiotics in kefir as well as the standard kefir species you get.

I am intolerant to casein (leaky gut as well as loads of other stuff, so milk kefir isn't really an option.

EDIT:
Specifically, looking at my stool test results, pre-antibiotics, based on the normal ranges (which I haven't checked how up to date they are, I need to increase some and decrease others:

Decrease needed to get in normal range:
* lachnospiraceae > Anaerostipes -15
* Bacgteroidaceae > Bacterroides -2.5
* Erysipelotrichaceae > Coprobacillus -1.72
* clostridiaceae > lactonifactor -0.75
* Eubacteriaceae > Anaerofustis -0.18

Increase needed to get in normal range:
* Bifidobacteriaceae > Bifidobacterium + 5
* Ruminococcus + 2
* Coriobacterineae > Asaccharobacter + 0.1

Of course, the abx, and indeed the Bifidobacterium probiotics may well have changed the picture since I had the test.

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@snowathlete
the first thing is don't bother with shop bought coconut milk (not in the UK anyway) its like 7% coconut milk and the rest is water. Kefir made with this will separate big time with a large middle part of water. Not enough stuff for the kefir to feed, on very thin and takes ages to take.

What I did was buy some creamed coconut and blended with water. Quantities are harder - I didn't weigh just broke off a big chunk and added some water,,,sorry - then just stir the kefir in cover it and leave on a worktop in a warm kitchen.
the kefir still separates from the water but nowhere near as much water content and easy enough to just mix it up before you use it.

I got the grains in a packet, I just used half for my first attempt (half resealed) in case it didn't work. You want to add your extra probiotics at the warming stage - first 24 hours, then they should all be incorporated.

another thing you could try is make some coconut milk say into a pint - add your chosen probiotics and then put into a yoghurt maker, they will take I've done it, just have a few tablespoons every day.

I've nothing on the go at the present as been feeling too rough, maybe start again in the new year, it all takes energy.

anniekim

@maryb how long do you heat the coconut milk mixture and kefir in the yoghurt maker? The full time for making normal yoghurt? For my yoghurt maker this is about 8 hours.

Also when you say make the coconut milk up to a pint, do you mean mixing the creamed coconut with the water? How much water would you use? Sorry for all the questions. Many thanks

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@anniekim
no I don't do the kefir in a yoghurt maker, I just warm the milk and stir in the kefir, cover it and leave it on the worktop, sometimes put it on a coaster on the kitchen radiator if its really cold weather just for a little bit of extra heat, not for long though ,too much heat will kill the bacteria, it will cook itself eventually, quicker in the summer of course.

I suggested to @snowathlete if he wanted to make just yoghurt with the coconut milk he could do it in a yoghurt maker, basically the same - warm milk, stir in your probiotics, I would always use a teaspoon of a goats yoghurt as well even though I am casein intolerant as well, and pour into the y/maker. I try to do mine either first thing in the morning or at tea-time and leave it for 10/12hrs.

Thing is its not an exact science and we have to experiment, I've had epic failures and a lot of successes so be prepared, its all usually okay to drink/eat, even when it goes to cheese:)

Difficult to say on quantities - when you think coconut milk in the uk is what? 7- 8% coconut, I just blend my big chunk of coconut cream with a little water, then add a little more and see how thick it is, want it the consistency of full cream milk.

When I make it again I'll make a note of quantities.

It does work with shop bought coconut milk but you get a very thin kefir and have to stir it well as it separates due to the high water content, the kefir grows in the coconut bit.

snowathlete

Thanks, I'm going to try this (with the creamed coconut as you suggest) when I get the energy. Will report back how I get on.