• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thinking of going off antidepressants

adreno

PR activist
So I saw my crazy-doctor yesterday and she wants me to transition from an SNRI back to an SSRI. I am strongly considering just tapering off the SNRI but not starting the other drug. On the one hand, none of the antidepressants have been working because I still get very depressed. On the other hand, they were never prescribed for depression in the first place, but for anxiety and I don't need more anxiety at this point. Not sure what to do.
Withdrawing from an SNRI is brutal. Transitioning to an SSRI can make the withdrawal easier. SSRIs also have far fewer side effects than SNRIs. If I were in your shoes I would follow your doctor's advice. See how your doing on the SSRI, and if you don't like it, coming off it will be easier than coming off an SNRI (as you'll only be withdrawing from one neurotransmitter action, instead of two). It actually makes sense to do this in a two-step process (withdrawing from NE first, then serotonin).

vamah

Withdrawing from an SNRI is brutal. Transitioning to an SSRI can make the withdrawal easier. SSRIs also have far fewer side effects than SNRIs. If I were in your shoes I would follow your doctor's advice. See how your doing on the SSRI, and if you don't like it, coming off it will be easier than coming off an SNRI (as you'll only be withdrawing from one neurotransmitter action, instead of two). It actually makes sense to do this in a two-step process (withdrawing from NE first, then serotonin).

Thanks for the advice. That is what I have decided to do. Once I have stabilized on the SSRI for a few weeks, I will see what I feel like doing. I'm thinking that summer is a better time to try and withdraw from psych meds completely.