• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thinking of donating a kidney to a stranger - good or bad idea as a CFS sufferer?

Dainty

I personally made sure my driver's license states I am NOT an organ donor.

When I first got my driver's license, I happily checked the organ donor box. I wanted to help and I applaud you for wanting it too. But now, no way. If there's even a chance they could get it from me, they really don't want my organs. It'd be giving them hope of life only to have it stripped away again.

I would be extremely wary. My wife had an operation and whilst recovering caught a normal flu bug. Became apparent was not recovering from operation properly, and turned out had ME; over 10 years ago and has had it ever since.

Last edited:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
For anyone who has a serious illness that is not understood, whatever the name, it seems to me sensible to avoid organ donation. ME is not one disease. A significant number of people diagnosed with ME will turn out to have specific conditions and for some of those, including ones we do not yet recognise, donation may cause significant problems.