• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thinking about methylation...

Dear All,

I am slowly understanding how the methylation/remethylation cycle works. Due to my brain fog it takes more time for me but It's good to understand everything. (By the way lots of brain fog although not all have improved after only taking 50mg zinc piccolinate nightly, but that's another topic).

However, I am wondering a few questions. If someone could help me I would be really glad :

1.- In all methylation diagrams and pictures I've found, SAMe is only one step further from Methionine, and the body can easily convert it to SAMe. Then, why is SAMe used against depression and not Methionine in the first place ? If everything starts with methionine, why not supplement that ? Is it because it would create loooots of homocysteine that could not be remethylated ?

2.- Regarding remethylation of homocysteine, why is it the b12+folate pathway prefered rather than the TMG/DMG/BHMT ? To me, it looks like a shorter and simpler path. Is it because MTHFR also helps producing serotonine and dopamine ?

3.- Don't you think taking b12, folate, TMG, DMG, whatever helps the remethylation, could remove too much homocysteine ? Supposedly homocysteine is bad for hearth, liver, etc.. but it's needed to make glutathione, cysteine, etc...!!!! If you keep taking b12/folate/tmg/dmg whatever, aren't you in risk of not producing enough glutathione/cysteine etc... ?

Supplementing daily with moderate doses of methylcobalamine+MTHF are supposed to be safe (no matter if you suffer from CFS/ME/Depression/ADHD/whatever) but I can't see why is it safe if it can lower your cysteine and glutathione levels!! (by remethylating too much homocysteine).

Well, I hope someone could help me with those questions.

Best Wishes,
Marcus

Here's the diagram I've used to make this conclusions :
methylation-cycle.jpg

place

Be Strong!
Wow you have some great questions! I can't answer them directly but.... Sometimes there are several spots in the cycle that have broken. Also, when taking any amino acid, your body tends to grow a tolerance to it and it stops working. So I rotate my some of my amino's every three days or so.