Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Things stop working as quickly as they start

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by knackers323, Dec 19, 2014.

1. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

I'm sure everyone has experienced this. You think you have found something and then it just stops working.

Anyone know if this happens in other illnesses?

panckage likes this.
  2. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Lupus and MS come to mind. Maybe most/all immune conditions?

3. knackers323

Thanks @Sherlock I didn't know that. I had never heard of it before. I wonder what it is. If it only seems to be in auto immune conditions then it would seem the body/immune system changes things around so that these treatments are no longer effective.

It would also give us a big clue as to the nature of cfs.

Sherlock likes this.
  4. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

I have heard ancedotally of this happening from couple of ME/CFS patients. One was on provigil and the other was on valtrex. Both had spontaneous remission but soon it stopped working. Dr. Goldstein had an explanation which was explained in this thread. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/alternatives-to-arginine-to-raise-nitric-oxide.33528/#post-518467

5. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    I'd been mulling this over lately, knackers, and think that maybe some immune cells change their receptors.

After all, Mast Cells have a large number of different types of receptors - plus a variety of products, too. Not all Mast Cells are the same, either - not even in the same person. Why would they change? I don't know but it gets irritating when seemingly everything that once worked seems to stop :meh: But I think of it more as auto-inflammatory rather than autoimmune.

Immune cells are probably the ones that have the most morphing ability, too.

Yep, clues are what it's all about :)

6. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @knackers323 The first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title, are you doing any detox protocol? Regularly? If I was not, I'd be in big trouble.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  7. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    That happens to me. Not with everything but it is such a disappointment. On the other hand, I'm thankful for the days it helps. I can purposely stop and start some of them to get the short benefit.

It also happens to my friend, who does not have ME, but has some problems with metabolism and detox.

8. knackers323

Funny you say that as the thing that led me to start this thread was that I had a big improvement for two days on NAC but then it just stopped.

It has happened many times to me with different things.

What would you suggest?

@Ecoclimber that is a very interesting thread but I don't see where Goldstein gives a reason why this happens. Are you able to direct me to the post please

9. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

IME nothing works when thyroid is not properly working.

10. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @knackers323 I have only one suggestion, like a broken record: Coffee Enemas. Most direct route I've found to detox liver, and thus whole body, all organs. And yes, as Gondwanaland notes, check thyroid. My CE experience and references is linked in my signature.;)

11. knackers323

Thanks for the suggestions. Some things do work but they quickly stop working again. According to Drs my thyroid is fine. Just had blood tests and my TSH was at the lower end of normal

See more popular forum discussions.