1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Things of Beauty? Joy Forever -- Even with ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Thanks @Firestormm The urban wildlife have become the center of our attention around here. The shot of the cooper's hawk that my partner took really gets me every time I see it. He is looking straight at the camera with those piercing predator eyes. :eek: There are some shots of the squirrels that I really long to get--when they are lounging on the top of the fence, straddling it. They look so comical. Maybe one day. Also, I haven't been able to get a good shot of the skunk, as he is pretty quick to cruise through the yard, and it's mostly at dusk and at night that we get a peek at him.

The doves, OTOH, are always there waiting to be photographed. They send their look-outs to the top of the maple tree to let the rest of their flock know when the feeder is being filled.... which is twice a day at approx 7 am and 3:30 pm. They have us trained! LOL! :p
    peggy-sue, xchocoholic and Firestormm like this.
  2. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    tatt,

Your flowers sound beautiful. So is the poem.:)
  3. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks xchocoholic.:)

Thank goodness for beautiful views. You have been fortunate.

Yeah, stay away from those mirrors. :) I did that for many years. I kept getting surprised, didn't recognize that face at all.

I ditched all cosmetics and hair dyes for several years, trying to get the toxic load down. You are very cool.:)
    peggy-sue and xchocoholic like this.
  4. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Dainty,

It's nice when we can make the big changes that up the beauty quotient, but like you I have mostly had to focus on small things.

I also grew up with an aversion to being materialistic and superficial. When life pushed me far beyond a decent balance for that though, I started pushing back, and have realized that my initial viewpoint was missing the mark. I have learned to value things that at one time I would have dismissed. No more.:)
    Dainty likes this.
  5. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Peggy-sue,

Sounds like the perfect place to be convalescing and breathing in beauty.
  6. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    db,

I would love to live near the ocean. I am just blocks away from the lake but it is not a particularly clean lake and there are not areas in walking distance that are open to the public. Your spot sounds ideal.
  7. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Peggy-sue,

My realization was something that hit me suddenly one day and caught me completely by surprise. I have been trying to go with it as much as possible since then.

If I can get a photo of the bottle, I will post it here.:)
    November Girl likes this.
  8. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks Misfit Toy. :)

Your priorities make sense to me.:)
  9. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    AndyPandy,

Your birds sound wonderful. Sounds like your bird bath is doing the trick.:)
    AndyPandy likes this.
  10. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Valentijn,

We had bamboo wallpaper in one place we lived, I loved that. Having a mattress downstairs for a laydown is very practical. Too bad it's too low to see out the window.:)
    Valentijn likes this.
  11. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Great pictures, db.:)
    Dreambirdie likes this.
  12. Dreambirdie

N. California
    Thanks. Here's one more of the beautiful ocean. :love::love::love:

seagulls in the air.jpg
  13. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    557471_6e7c7971.jpg
    This is my back garden. :cool: Well not really, its a natural woodland park 50 yards from where I live and have been going there most days over the past 20 years to find solace and tranquility. I just like to assume its my back garden.

Before becoming ill there was not much of either in my life, although I used to look back to the 'good old days' as no doubt we all due and think it was all a bed of roses, which of course isn't true.

The park has hundreds of trees of all different types,sizes and ages and during moments of contemplation I often reflect on the life of a tree. Perhaps theres a few lessons for me that I needed to learn studying trees.

For instance a tree has no choice where it spends its life, it has to live and bloom where its planted. It has an ordered life, it has seasons of blooming and seasons of discarding leaves and blossoms, before a season of resting to bring forth new foliage.

It lives for others, whether its home and food for birds and squirrels, or a treehouse for kids and it has no choice who uses its facilities.

It has to learn to bend with the breeze or it will be blown away(boy do I need to learn this) and sun and water is all it asks for in exchange for all this. It never complains even when dogs urinate on it. A tree has no life other than to serve others.

Besides the trees there are the people who are park regular visitors who invariably
    stop and talk if your sat on a park bench.

They usually have small dogs which mostly seem sexually attracted to my left leg, which makes conversation a little strained. :rolleyes:

All life is in the park, whether your a tree,a squirrel, a victim of CFS or an oversexed dog.

Right now Spring is in the air and in a few weeks the first signs of new life will be showing and as every year, a hope that some of that new life will be rubbing off on me. Maybe the trees have a few more lessons for me to learn.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  14. Dreambirdie

N. California
    @liverock Oh how FUNNY about the dog who likes your left leg. :woot::rofl::rofl:

Beautiful park, beautiful trees, beautiful reflections about life rhythms and the importance of bending in the breeze. Thanks for sharing.
    peggy-sue and xchocoholic like this.
  15. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    db, that's what I thought too. Beautiful picture, Liverock, and a beautiful post.:)
  16. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    Actually I think it must be the aftershave I use (although I do have a very sexy left leg :D). The aftershave is called "Irresistable", the problem appears to be it works on dogs but not on women. I think I will write to the manufacturers and get my money back. ;) :D
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Little Bluestem and peggy-sue like this.
  17. Dreambirdie

N. California
    @liverock Women prefer natural body odors to stinky chemically fragranced aftershave. Dogs OTOH will roll around in just about anything. hehehe :p:p:D
    Valentijn and peggy-sue like this.
  18. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Mmmm, Michael naturally smells slightly of fenugreek. He's lovely.
    Dreambirdie likes this.
  19. Dreambirdie

N. California
    My partner smells like soup lately. That gets me every time. I love a man with a soup ladle! :cool:
  20. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England

See more popular forum discussions.