• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

There's worse off than us

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Is the UK economy really struggling because of welfare fraud?

I saw Dr John H Greensmith's post on CO-CURE and read the article in question:

The fake disabled are crippling our economy", James Delingpole, Last updated: January 26th, 2012

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/j...0/the-fake-disabled-are-crippling-our-economy

The stereotype of the welfare sponge has haunted the public psyche for decades. It used to be aimed more at abled people who remained unemployed, but in recent years more attention has moved to those with actual disabilities. Here Delingpole defends Rod Liddle's article "'Pretend disabled really ARE sick" (The Sun, 26 January 2012 - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/smartphonecolumnists/article4087911.ece) which has since been removed. Delingpole writes "There really are far, far too many people sponging off the taxpayer right now with their fake or exaggerated disabilities and they're one of the reasons we're in the financial mess we're in."

This old chestnut gets regurgitated every now and then in the news, but what hard evidence do we have that there are hordes of welfare cheats crippling the economy? I did a quick search and found these UK estimates (with confidence intervals given) on p9-10 of http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd2/dlafraudjuly05.pdf. Fraud: 0.4% or 70m. There is some official error too (1.3%) and a much higher proportion of overpayments are due to changing circumstances ie 12.8% or 730m (with about half as much "underpayments" due to changing circumstances too). Welfare fraud is obviously an unwanted burden on any economy, and I don't know how much of the overpayments are "semi-fraud", but 70m doesn't exactly sound like it is "crippling" the UK economy.

A while ago I read that Australia rolled out a "welfare to work" program several years ago which "failed to put a brake on the high numbers joining disability pension rolls [and] made little progress in moving people with disabilities off benefits and into work" (http://www.smh.com.au/national/welfare-crackdown-misses-targets-20100310-pzea.html). This makes me wonder if the reason such programs have failed is because they were misguided from the outset, there are no "hordes" of welfare cheats to begin with. Another attempt was made recently, with some business leader encouraging it and drawing inspiration from what the UK are doing (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...udget-in-surplus/story-fn7ik2te-1226005498241).

As someone who wants to be more active, I find it hard to believe that people who are "healthy" would actively choose lazy dead-end poverty over a normal life unless something is seriously wrong. The few people I met many years ago who were on disability for reasons other than physical disease, the ones that sometimes liked to "party" as in the stereotype of the work-shy no-hopers, they lived in messy poverty and had serious mental illnesses which made them unsuited to work anyway and which did not improve regardless of all the retraining programs and CBT thrown at them.

A laughable component to the stereotype is that people on disability are all living lives of luxury while all the hard workers have to make do with their average salaries (which is several times higher than disability). Another problem noticed by someone I know who works in hostels, there has been a push to get mental patients more "integrated" into society (the ones that in the old days would be institutionalized), some of these people just end up homeless or on disability benefits wondering the streets in states of confusion without the adequate care they need.

Battery Muncher

Too tired to think straight. All I can say is this: Delingpole and Liddle are reactionary choads that scrounge their living by attacking the weak and vulnerable in the right-wing gutter press. Don't let them get to you.

Also re: the cost of benefits - http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad...ing/2012/01/scroungers-whats-the-problem.html

The cost of scroungers, then, is an order of magnitude smaller than the cost of bankers.

The evidence, then, suggests that scroungers are, at worst, a mild problem. So why expend political capital fretting about them? The nicest thing I can think of is that this is another example of how moralizing is displacing rational policy-making.

Min

three letters in reply are in today's Sun:

Rod Liddle should thank heaven that he does not have the debilitating illness myalgic
encephalomyelitis (M.E.) classified as a neurological illness by the World
Health Organisation since 1969.

It has left tens of thousands of people existing for decades house or bedbound,
before a premature death. He should give thanks he does not have the
excruciating fibromyalgia classified as a soft issue order by the World Health
Organisation since the 1990s.

For the last quarter of a century I have had a severe form of both the
conditions he ridicules and, believe me, I would be delighted to return to my
teaching career if there were any effective treatment available. Unfortunately,
theres none, just psychobabble.

H PATTEN
Tintinhull, Somerset

I was totally outraged to read Rod Liddles abhorrent utterings.

The only thing we can hope is that there will be such a backlash against him
from so many quarters that it will actually focus more attention on all the
chronic illnesses he is poo-poohing.

It would be some comfort for so many people if that kind of good came out of
this column.

JUDI MARTIN
Maryculter, Aberdeenshire

Rod Liddle has made yet another incompetent and inaccurate attack on people with
M.E.

M.E. is not newly invented. It was first described by he Lancet in 1956 and
was later classified by the World Health Organisation as a neurological
disorder. M.E. is recognised by the Department of Health to be a serious and
debilitating condition.

The Medical Research Council recently provided 1.5million to fund biomedical
research into the causes, diagnosis and management of this devastating illness.

DR CHARLES SHEPHERD
Hon Medical Adviser, ME Association