• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

There's worse off than us

Holmsey

From The Sun, 26 January 2012 (words by Rod Liddle).

Pretend disabled really ARE sick

My New Years resolution for 2012 was to become disabled.

Nothing too serious, maybe just a bit of bad luck or one of those newly invented illnesses which make you a bit peaky for decades fibromyalgia, or M.E.

Theres lots of money to be made from being disabled your money, taxpayers money, as it happens.

And it is far easier to be disabled these days than ever was the case.

Also, I am nothing if not a creature of fashion, a cool and with-it hipster, daddy-o, who is always up to date with the latest trends.

And being disabled is incredibly fashionable. The number of people who claim to be disabled has doubled in the past ten years.

And who can blame them? Not only do you get money from the Government and dont have to go to work but if you play your cards right you might get one of those badges which let you park wherever you want. Right in front of the cashpoint, for example. And you can use those enormous toilets with levers and handgrips and emergency buzzers they have in all public places, without feeling too guilty about it.

The latest figures regarding incapacity allowance came out this week. It is now estimated that 80 per cent of people who are claiming sickness benefit are actually fit to work. Whats more, almost a million people have been on Invalidity Benefit for more than a decade.

When you suggest that this is a public scandal, the disability charities get very cross and accuse you of victimising the infirm.

But Im not, Im victimising the people who are pretending to be inform in order to claim money from the state.

Our at least, Im trying to: I dont suppose it will have much effect. Just water off their supposedly bad backs.

Then the Left-wingers will say hang on a minute, you fat old fascist, more money is lost to the country as a result of tax avoidance by the very rich than is wasted through sickness benefits.

Well, maybe it is. And the Government should deal with that with a bit more vigour than they do right now.

But it still doesnt make fraudulently claiming sickness benefits OK, does it?

Thats like saying we shouldnt get worked up about crimes such as rape because murder is worse.

Its a silly argument.

More than anything, though the people fraudulently claiming sickness benefit are doing a disservice to those who really deserve it. The people who are truly disabled or ill. It has become easier to claim those benefits, partly as a consequence of the disablement charities who, out of their own self-interest, insist that an ever-greater proportion of the population is disabled.

I think we should all pretend to be disabled for a month or so, claim benefits and hope this persuades the authorities to sort out the mess.

currer

Check out my thread on statistics and chronic illness.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?15869-Population-statistics-for-chronic-diseases

It really seems that no accurate figures are kept of most chronic illness in the country.

If ME and other chronic disease really were a growing problem, ie increasing in rate, the government keeps no figures to record this change.
How can they say there are too many disabled? These diseases are probably genuinely growing and posing a health crisis that is unrecognised.

Cutting benefits and abusing the disabled is not going to solve this one.

Holmsey

And it seems there are those pretending to be sane, who are really very sick.

Still I think we should all take a moment to empathise with this deluded individaul, he thinks in order to get benefits in the UK all you have to do is pretend and the money's yours, nobody seems to have told him that even terminal cancer patients are being dubbed 'fit to work'.

He also seems to think everyone diagnosed ME or Fibromyalgia is laying around enjoying their benefits while the truth is most are capable of continuing in some way to work, and so pay benefits into an NHS system that for the most part dismisses or ignores their illness.

Neither does he seem to have access to the internet, so applying his easily mimicked style (pick a group and taunt them) I'm guessing that he's the product on a derprived inner city background let loose with a crayon while visiting the publishers of one of Britain's best know comic's, the Sun.

For those outwith the UK, the Sun is a Rupert Murdock paper priding itself on never letting the truth obscure a good story while echoing the gutter principles currently under investigation and bringing a close to the Sunday version of the same, The News of the World.

Incapable of serious comment, and in the hope the builders who buy the paper to check out the topless model might notice his name as it heads toward wiping their backsides, we're todays target of ridicule, but cheer up it was apparently the whole of Scotland yesterday and some of them are daft enough to go looking for him.

In the end there's nothing like a bright inteligent jouranlist, and this guy is certainly nothing like a bright inteligent journalist.

Purple

Bundle of purpliness
Was this article published with the spelling errors? (as above)

ETA: I see from MEA FB page where the errors came from... please ignore my previous comment.

Min

Rod Liddle attacks us as 'pretend disabled' in today's Sun

This hate article has been published in today's popular tabloid UK Sun newspaper, but has been withdrawn from their online site:

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2012/01/rod-liddle-disabled-the-sun/

Is Rod Liddles column in todays Sun the most disgusting attack on disabled people yet? Here are some choice quotes:

My New Years resolution for 2012 was to become disabled. Nothing too serious, maybe just a bit of a bad back or one of those newly invented illnesses which make you a bit peaky for decades fibromyalgia, or M.E.

And being disabled is incredibly fashionable. The number of people who claim to be disabled has doubled in the past ten years.

I think we should all pretend to be disabled for a month or so, claim benefits and hope this persuades the authorities to sort out the mess.

It has become easier to claim those benefits, partly as a consequence of the disablement charities who, out of their own self-interest, insist that an ever-greater proportion of the population is disabled.

Journalist Rod Liddle likes to repeatedly denigrate ME & fibromyalgia sufferers

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=7373

http://www.spectator.co.uk/rodliddle/7277993/dr-liddles-casebook.thtml

letters to the Sun editor for publication should be no more than two or three sentences long and very simple

letters@the-sun.co.uk

Mark

If only there was some way to get the reality through to Liddle. Often in such cases, the reactionary attitudes are mostly fueled by pure ignorance and isolation from the real-world problems. If only he spent time with somebody with severe ME (though who on earth would volunteer for that?!) or saw the right bit of documentary evidence (maybe Voices from the Shadows), his attitudes might change completely. Imagine somebody like that having a change of heart after encountering the harsh reality of ME first hand, and then writing about it and admitting he was wrong - it would make a huge difference to public attitudes.

Nielk

I think that he should be forced to watch "Voices from the Shadows" every day for a month and then let's see if he's still volunteering to "make believe" he has ME.

Valentijn

Having a change of heart would require him to have a heart. He makes his living and has built up his self-identity by making these sorts of attacks, probably for many many years. He will never believe that he is in the wrong.

drjohn

Letter, Re: Pretend disabled really ARE sick (The Sun, 26 January 2012)

PERMISSION TO FORWARD AND RE-POST ON OTHER FORUMS, SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES AND USE IN NEWSLETTERS. PLEASE RE-TWEET ON TWITTER.

The Sun Letters.

Rod Liddle is on my list of, "Nasty Pieces of Work" (others on it are Victor Lewis-Smith and Ricky Gervais), so named because it aptly describes both the person and the material which they write about people who have an illness they don't understand, especially M.E. (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis).

Rod will probably be too busy, fortunately for him in the rudest of health, plying his vindictive trade, able to make a pile out of his victims but perhaps you would like to send an independent journalist to visit a few people who have been a little "bit peaky" ('Pretend disabled really ARE sick, The Sun, 26 January 2012 -- http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/smartphonecolumnists/article4087911.ece) from M.E. for a decade or two and give the same space and prominence, which he has had, to tell it as it really is.

Unlike some fellow M.E. sufferers, who say such sadistic people need to have it themselves - just a week or two would do - to know how devastating M.E. really is, I have always said that I would never wish this on my worst enemy; my resolve is slipping and, in Rod's case, I may be prepared to make an exception.

Yours sincerely
drjohngreensmith@mecommunitytrust.org
Dr John H Greensmith
ME Community Trust.org

Carrigon

If this were written about any other disease, people would be calling for him to be strung up from the nearest tree. But because it's about ours, he gets away with it. It's so unbelievably evil. He should try having it and see how fun the pain and suffering really is.

I've read this Rod Liddle's column in the sunday times on and off for years, long before i became unwell.

That's basically his thing, pick a topic (usually a hot one) that he knows little or nothing about, and verbally abuses. I've seen him aim his jibes at everyone from the police to immigrants. The fact that he has aimed insults at ME sufferers is just symbolic of the lack of the public awareness about the illness, and whilst im not standing up for rod liddle, if doctors cant even agree on what ME is, how can you expect a journalist writing a trashy article to know anything about it.

SilverbladeTE

"not that bad"....more I think on this bag-le-douche...grrrr!!
*fumes*

I finally gave away my fishing gear few months ago....haven't been fishing in over 14 years because of this *%$ illness
I have been fishing since I was a little kid, I AODRE fishing.
Giving my fishing gear away was...like accepting a death.

And what the f*** does this SOB know about welfare?
bakc in 80s I had no job, any of ya know what it was like then in ex-industrial areas?
What it feels like to want to do something honest and decent with yer life and CONSTANTLY getting kicked in the teeth?

Took me most of a year to save up for my fishing bag, right good one, canvas, with a wicker compartment, if you what I'm talking about.
Two years to save up for my prized German Solingen-steel knife (always loved fine metalwork etc, and 'cause of my love for history/fantasy also taught myself how to make chainmail and plate armour)
About 4 years to find a good "coarse" rod (more question of not being able to travel around, no internet shopping etc to find the "right" one)
Because I had about 40 a week to live on so takes long time to get things. What ARSEHOLE thinks any wants to live on that, hm?
Always believed in gettign the best, right tools, for me, for the job at hand, not cheap rubbish or the "fashionable idiot item".
I'd save up for ages to get things I cared about. Prized possessions. Gone. Not being used, they are for use, so gave 'em to pal who will use 'em.
Easy? EASY?!!!

Adored fishing.
The rivers and surrounds are so beaituful, so restful and divorced from Human asshattery
Watching kingfishers and herrons, Nature's great fishermen, at work.
Respect for the water, gawd DAMN is it powerful and dangerous, two literal whirlpools in stretches I fished.
Respect for the life around you, you cut up and take away your line, trash etc.
Ever seen the fin of a grayling cutting water as it sails through fast, shallow water? GORGEOUS fish :)

One of my relatives helped set up the Clyde Angling Association way back, helped clean the river up from poisoning by the heavy industries.
After a century of work, finally got salmon back in it :)
Did you know that students in the 1500s in Scottish universities complained they were sick of salmon, they had so much ofit, they wanted trout for a change?
ie, we've polluted/over fished it so terribly, when once they abounded with life.

urban decay, anger, ruin, hopelessness of the 80s, did I turn to terrorism, drugs, crime or drink?
Nope, harmless fun with pals, local library (free, fun and learning) and fishing and my dog (had a gallous wee Jack Russel back then, Mum painted a picture of him and me at "Corra Linn" one of the Falls of the Clyde)

this is a pic from WIkipedia of Corra Lin, the hydro dam take smuch of the flow normally though hence only small amount goes over the falls except in a flood or certian days
in full spate though it's something else!!

448px-Corra_Linn_falls_clyde.JPG

Only thing I've got left is my pike rod 'cause I am jsut too sick to spend energy digging it out,
I'd shove that up his arse! See if he thinks that's "not too bad" :p
Bloody nasty cretin.

and to hell with "don't support their stereotype of the violent threatening ME/CFS sufferer!"
I'm being rhetorical, not literal, and we need to stop pussy footing around these bigotted, wicked pundits anyway.
Call 'em the evil, abusive gobshytes they are! :D

Nielk

Silver,

You made me cry!
Hearing about giving away such a cherished, hard earned fishing gear which symbolized your most loving hobby!
You have a great way of expressing yourself and you obviously have a powerful relationship with nature and the responsibilities we have in taking care of it.
I'm really sorry you had to give this up. How generous of you to give it away so that someone else can get enjoyment out of it.
You have more dignity and nobility than these "weasels" will ever have in one toe!