• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

There's a debilitating illness that makes you feel exhausted all the time — and we know very little

Ecoclimber

Well for all the bad news the past few weeks, some good news might help. Perhaps we should send a note to the journalist thanking her for the report. Doesn't hurt to show appreciation to those willing to report on this illness in a fair manner.

Business Insider
There's a debilitating illness that makes you feel exhausted all the time — and we know very little about it
By Tanya Lewis
Nov. 3, 2015, 2:07 PM

Imagine feeling so exhausted that every physical exertion required a mountain of effort, and your brain felt like it was in a fog all the time.

That's the plight of people who suffer from a disease called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome — a debilitating illness that affects more than a million Americans.

In addition to extreme fatigue that is not helped by bed rest, the disease can cause joint and muscle pain, mess with your concentration, and make sleeping extremely difficult. More:

Thx
@viggster

Last edited:

jimells

Thanks for posting the link to this story. I submitted this response a few times before getting it through the spam filters. Sometimes a dial-up connection is a handy thing to have, as each time I connect I get a different IP address.

------------
The disparaging comments illustrate exactly what patients have been up against for 30 years, ever since the disability insurers hired a group of UK psychiatrists (known as the "Wessely School") to protect their profits by burying the illness.

And how did they do this?

1. Declare the illness is "psychosomatic" and perpetuated by "false illness beliefs", in spite of thousands of research papers that clearly demonstrate biological abnormalities.

2. Declare that the illness can be cured with psychotherapy and exercise, even though exercise for this patient population is like giving candy to a diabetic, as clearly shown by published research.

3. Conduct fraudulent research studies with cute names like "PACE", "FINE", and "SMILE", then further distort those fraudulent findings via PR hacks like the UK's "Science Media Centre".

4. Accuse patient advocates of being "radicalized" and sending death threats, abuse, etc. even though not one person has ever been charged or convicted in a court of law.

But it's a funny thing about truth and lies. Eventually the truth always breaks through the propaganda and exposes the lies. Journalist David Tuller has done that with his extensive investigation of the PACE trial titled "Trial By Error". It can be found at "Virology Today".

http://www.virology.ws/2015/10/21/trial-by-error-i/