Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Wright Stuff - UK TV discussion about ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Bob, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
  2. Trooper

Trooper Senior Member

UK
    Cheers for the link Bob, I'll check it out now :)

3. Trooper

Trooper Senior Member

UK
    Yeh that was pretty good for a magazine style show that the Wright stuff is.

They all seemed pretty gobsmacked, as are most people when they actually listen to the reality of this disease. A small drop in a big pond, but most welcome :)

4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks Bob - I'll certainly take a look too. One gets so bored with misrepresentation usually churned out by the UK press.

5. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Hi Trooper, yes it was pretty good, wasn't it...
    It's the first time I've seen anyone in the media actually 'hear' us.
    I thought the people who phoned in were spot-on and really helpful.

Hi Enid, yes, and the repetitive nature of the misrepresentation can become demoralising, can't it.
    That's why it's so nice to see it portrayed accurately for a change. It makes a really refreshing change.

6. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    disappointed

I'm disappointed I can't see if from my country.

But, I am very hopeful that the research being done in other countries will bring a public discussion in the UK. We have to remember, there are many who support the correct view, but they are fearful. When evidence is stronger, they will be embolden.

To my UK folks, I know you struggle to get biomedical research in your country. But, be hopeful. Many all over the world are doing it and as the answers come, it will create the scientific consensus. How long will it take? We don't know. But the pace has been greatly quickened in last three years. It will happen. When it does, you will not be left behind.

I stand in solidarity with my British ME/CFS brothers. And with every act I do in support of change, I keep the UK patients in mind.

In the civil rights movements, the extreme cases of unjust violence and oppression are needed to draw the public's attention and create sympathy and the support for change. While UK folks have to endure some of the most egregious medical bias and neglect, you have been doing your part to get those stories out. And for that, you are contributing to making a change.

Tina

7. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    This was great and handled really well by the team. The panel members and audience looked visibly shocked by callers descriptions of what they and their loved ones are going through.
    Shame it was on channel 5 and not BBC1, not that many people will have watched it.
    Justy.

8. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Aw thanks Tina. That's really appreciated! :hug:

If I come across a youtube version of it, then i'll post a link here for you.

9. klimt

klimt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oywhxD6mEyc&feature=youtu.be

Here's the youtube link. It was quite good to see, fair play to them for doing it. Pity there was no mention of there was no mention of the Norway study though - it would have been far better to have that said then the part about the monkeys at the end. It ended a bit weird I think, for mainstream television anyway.

10. allyb

allyb Senior Member

Thank you Bob,

Such a refreshing change after that awful Food Hospital programme, That presenter said that he wants to do more on it!! He's on Twitter can someone give him more info? can we contact him as a forum is that possible???? I'm not on twitter or facebook but both him and Anne Diamond seem genuinely interested and I wondered if we could build on this?
    Any suggestions? or am I just being desperate?
    allyb

11. justinreilly

justinreilly Senior Member

NYC (& RI)
    If someone looks up the email or fax (and provides the relevant names- hosts, producers), I will write them.

That was a great little segment, due to the callers! Thanks for calling in and showing the reality of ME.

12. Glynis Steele

Glynis Steele Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
    Hi Justin,

Not sure if this is what you are after, it is a "Contact US" link, but it's only a general query, ie if you want to comment or complain about a programme they have broadcast. It might be worthwhile writing to them asking for the relevant details such as producers etc.

http://www.channel5.com/contact-us

13. Min

Min Guest

UK
  14. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Wright is very Liberal and smart, actually. Let him know the corporate/lobbyist/Science Media Centre angle etc as well.
    plus inform him of Lewellyn King's work, as another broadcaster he can therefor see/get up to speed/respectt such

15. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Someone should send him a copy of Hillary Johnsons book.

See more popular forum discussions.