Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The unreliability of TV medical talk shows

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by MeSci, Dec 31, 2014.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    Full text here.

CFS_for_19_years, ahimsa and barbc56 like this.
  2. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    TV was never meant to be a communication device for medical advice. It was developed for entertainment purposes and reporting the news. Anyone relying on Dr. Oz or The Doctors for medical advice is taking their chances.

anne_likes_red likes this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is a complex issue.

Medical talk shows are probably better than what we would get from most of the internet. Which is to say, good sometimes and bad at others.

Yet we have to keep in mind that the average doctor is probably no better.

MOST of medical advice is not adequately supported by evidence or sound science. Some of what is claimed as "evidence based" is also wrong. Almost nothing to do with science, especially in complex domains, can be considered 100% reliable.

This is made worse by the dominance of evidence based management approaches in evidence based medicine. Science is being supplanted by bureaucracy, and is therefore probably as suspect if not more suspect than TV doctor advice. Quality evidence based medicine/practice appears to be rare. There is no substitute for individual doctors researching everything of concern on an ongoing basis, and not accepting even "authoritative" evidence based claims at face value. The conundrum is that doctors lack the time, resources and often even the training to do so adequately. Its a problem the medical profession and the health authorities have not resolved.

maddietod and MeSci like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    The founding principles of the BBC were to inform, educate and entertain, and this is still their mission. To my mind there is much too much dumbing down of factual programmes nowadays. Few programmes satisfy my hunger for straight facts.

barbc56 likes this.
  5. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I may be misreading this, but are you saying that the information we get on the media is on par with medical care from a doctor?

While the criticisms you site is certainly warrented, I wouldn't say that the medical advice we see in the media is on the same level as the care from the medical community.

The media is all about the financial payoff from ratings. Financial incentives are definitely found in the medical community, but I would think the type and quality of these incentives are different.

Barb

6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I agree! Unfortunately, the reality is that there are people who don't realize this.
    Barb

Barb

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Not media in general, which is much worse than the average doctor, but Doctor talk shows. These are celebrity doctors.

barbc56 likes this.
  8. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Thanks! I thought that's what you meant, but wasn't sure.:)
    Barb

See more popular forum discussions.