• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Ultimate Discrimination

Carrigon

They still let themselves in. They just plain use their key. I know what they have been doing here is against the law. And they are getting away with it. This is our government, the United States of the Soviet Union. Just like TSA can and will stick their hands down your pants and touch your entire body. This is what is happening in our country today. Every day, they are taking away more and more of our rights. Maybe they'd like to pimp us out next?

leela

Seriously, a sign on the door stating entry restricted for health reasons until 12 June (or whatever) and a nice sturdy chair under the doorknob.

Carrigon

They'd probably get maint to bust down the door.

I'm never going to finish doing what I want to do in here. There's just no time. I needed one more week at least. No one moves on one week's notice. They are giving me the bum's rush. But I think it's for the right reasons. I just found out that the crazy neighbor I'm moving away from, he threatened to punch the other woman he has been harassing in the face and told her that he's not afraid to hit a woman. So, it is smart to leave fast before he decides to just hit or kill someone.

Carrigon

I moved out. And it is much better here, quiet and peaceful. But they dumped me with all these boxes and no help to unpack. So it's hard on me. I still have almost thirty of them left to unpack. And I did alot of running around changing my address. I moved on Thurs and I ended up collapsing on Sunday. And now I'm just slow going and having to sleep alot. It was just too much for me physically.

Physically, I look like I was beaten up. My body is all bruised up from moving computer equipment myself, throwing stuff out myself, and then unpacking stuff and having to maneuver heavy boxes. And they buried my cookware, so I've had to eat badly all week. And that has brought on my thyroid and gout problems. I'm going for my bloodwork tomorrow.

I can't do this again with moving. It has nearly killed me off literally. And I have a time limit on getting these boxes unpacked because the mover said they will pick them up for me for free when I'm done. So I have to get them done in the next few weeks.

Ultimately, this was the right choice, moving. I finally have some peace and normality. But it killed me. The only way I have gotten through it was I took pseudofed every day, the real stuff. And it helped. But the energy was not my own, and I've definitely collapsed now.

Dainty

I'm so sorry you're paying the price for the move, now; hope you're as okay as you can be. :hug:

Glad to hear this new place is better, more peaceful. Sounds like it's just a matter of getting over the hump of unpacking, recovering, and adjusting to the feel of a new place until it's home.

Hopefully you won't face any discrimination here.

Please keep us updated on how you're doing... :In bed:

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I'm sorry! I wish we could help. Is there anyone you can call? The local grange (do they have those in the East?), or a local church?

ok, I looked it up and there is a Grange in PA. http://www.pagrange.org/ Even if you are in a city, they might know what organization is around that could help.

Here are the ones registered at disability.gov (many are for developmental disabilities and veterans, but some for physical disabilities): https://www.disability.gov/state/pennsylvania/community_life

this one looks promising: http://www.crinet.org/services/

Carrigon

I have 23 more boxes to unpack. So I guess I'm getting there, considering they left me with about fifty or so.

Physically, OMG, this move has literally killed me off. I've had chest pain in the heart for two weeks. God only knows what my doctor is going to find with that. All my thyroid symptoms are back, just like I'm not even taking the med. I've got gout symptoms back. Both of my wrists hurt like hell, and it's either Lyme or gout arthritis in them. And my back has been bad, too. So much so, that I just went and bought a new mattress and boxspring. This bed was dying before I moved and the move just made it worse.

Very poor from the move. I spent my entire rent rebate on the mattress and boxspring, and I haven't even gotten it yet. But I talked to the IRS and they said I was approved and it will be here in a few weeks. The rest of the move has cost me about three hundred and sixty to four hundred dollars. And that's without my having to pay movers. The Housing Authority paid the movers. But because I was moved during hundred degree heat, I lost all the food from the fridge. Everything had to be replaced. I have to lay out the Comcast moving fee, and I will not be reimbursed for the new checks, address labels, motor vehicle fee. You name it, I have been fee'd to death. Including, they are going to charge me to take away this old mattress and boxspring because the delivery told me they don't do it. So this place charges fifty bucks and up for large garbage removal. I won't know till Monday how much that fee will be.

I still have to buy a phone for the buzzer here, too. That's on a separate line from the regular phone. So that's more money. I'm being drained dry.

So before I moved, the manager said to me, "We'll pay for everything, won't cost you a dime. And we'll do everything, you won't have to lift a finger." Yeah, right. BS. What do you call leaving a disabled woman alone with like fifty boxes. And all these other fees and expenses. Really.

Needless to say, I will not be moving again. Physically, my body cannot take it. Money wise, forget it. And I just plain can't do this again. Like this has to be the end.

So then, after I moved in, I found out the monster, the evil devil woman from hell who used to manage my old building and everyone hated and got together to get rid of her, she's here doing the cleanliness inspections! And they said she's just as evil and mean as ever. Wanna bet I will have to somehow cough up money to hire someone to help me clean before those inspections. I seriously doubt I can physically do what the monster will want. I think after I get all my stuff organized, I'll look into applying to get someone to come in for free and help. I'm not going to be able to keep it the way they want it. Not with our illness.

I haven't even mentioned the bruises on my body from this move. You guys should see how black and blue I am. I've had things drop on my feet, I've been banged from heavy things I've had to throw out and computer equipment I've had to move myself. I look like I've been beaten up and been through a war. And I feel like it, too.

I've been downing real pseudofed to give me the strength and energy to do all this. And it has gotten me through for the most part. I'm using energy that is not my own. And then I crash and have to sleep. I really don't know how much longer I can do this. And I have a time limit on the boxes. The movers said they will pick them up, but I only have a few weeks to get them done. So I feel rushed.

And they managed to break one of my kitchen chairs, scratch my coffee table, and I have no clue what else is wrecked or missing. I still can't find stuff, but we'll see when I'm done with all the boxes. They did badly dent a muffin tray I had, but I threw it out. No point in keeping it when I rarely make anything with it anymore.

Right now, my life is a living hell. But I do know that if I live through it and get settled, I'll be happier here. So I guess in the end it will be worth it. If I don't get a heart attack and die from doing all this.

taniaaust1

wow how horrid for you Carrigon. It never fails to amaze me just how poorly the disabled are so often treated (maybe cause we are less likely to complain).

Im so glad you have moved now thou. I hope things go better in your new place.

Hang on in there.. hopefully things will be much better for you in a few weeks once things are more sorted.

Carrigon

Fifteen more boxes to go. So I guess I'm getting there. Got the new bed today. Let's hope this one lasts. It's a nice solid rock.

leela

Carrigon, FYI, I moved in November, and I still have 20 or so boxes I have never unpacked.
This is only a problem when I really need to find something ;)

Otherwise, I am really taking this slowly, on a need-to-find basis.
I have completely let go of caring about it, just paid a nice strong young person $10/hr to help me stack them neatly or stow them in closets.

You are *amazing* to have done so much. I have paid and paid for the overdo, though (hence the letting-go) so I encourage you to not feel rushed unless you are truly on a mission to find some essential treasure....

So glad you got out of that other nightmare scenario, and that the new place is peaceful and pleasant.

Carrigon

I have to rush with the boxes. The movers said they would pick them up when I'm done and there's most likely a month time limit on that. Plus, all the important stuff is still in there. All the junk I didn't care about was on top, and all the really important stuff was on the bottom. So I've had to really keep working on it.

Today, I haven't touched them yet because last night I had a major Lyme arthritis attack in my lower back and hips. So crippled up, it was scary. Ended up having to resort to a muscle relaxant, and that always puts me down for two days. We've been getting rain and thunderstorms every single day, something that never happens here like this. And the weather is killing me. But I'll be back to doing more boxes the second the stuff wears out of me.

leela

All the junk I didn't care about was on top, and all the really important stuff was on the bottom.
I totally hear you on that!

Don't let the boxes part rush you though; your local Craigslist or Freecycle is an instantaneous way to pass along your boxes to the next ones in line for a move. Movers notoriously never show up to collect them anyway.

Hope that takes some of the stress off, anyway!

Don't know how strapped you are, but for me, despite serious cash flow problems, hiring a nice young neighborhood woman for $10/hr, for just an hour or two at a time (my limit) to do not just heavy lifting, but moral support and general decision-making help when I am over the top, was money *so* well spent. I got lucky and found someone really cheerful and understanding with a great sense of getting things done fast without being stressy. Lots of smart fun people are looking for extra cash these days.

Carrigon

The move killed me with money. I've been fee'd to death. But once I get settled, I'm going to look into applying for someone to help me for free. I had already been told I qualify, but I was hesitant to do it because alot of them steal. You have to be so careful. My aunt was stolen from more than once that way. But I really need the help.