Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"The Trouble With Evidence-Based Medicine, the 'Brand'" By Hilda Bastian (July 12)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Esther12, barbc56 and Sean like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

One issues I can see with meta-analyses and systematic reviews is quite often they are done by people from the field who have a reasonably good idea what the evidence is already.

They can then focus on outcome measures for their favourite interventions that they know came out well (or alternatively on outcome measures that don't suit interventions they don't favour).

So in the ME/CFS, CBT and GET meta-analyses might focus on fatigue scores and (self-reported) physical functioning and these results can look impressive but if other outcome measures are looked at, the evidence isn't so impressive.

3. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Here are some sourses about the downside of meta analysis. I think the following are just some of the important points. The article also talks about John Ioannidis. Bold is mine.

I will try and post some other sources but it will have to be tomorrow as I am having one of my worst day of fogginess and don't want to repeat what others have or will be saying. Hope, I haven't done that with this article.

I wonder how much my fog has to do with laughing so hard from a certain thread. Worth it if it was. But who knows? Maybe we should do a meta analysis of how many others had this happen. Oh wait, it won't be valid.:lol:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/i-never-meta-analysis-i-really-like/

Barb

See more popular forum discussions.