• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Times: Vitamin D boost for all 'will treat national health shame' and CFS/ME

Ocean

High Ocean, Parathyroid disorders can be genetic as this article shows http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15133326 so if its in your family, its possible that it is what you have. So you need to get your doctor to test your Calcium and PTH (Parathyroid hormone) levels (there just simple blood tests).

According to the Parathyroid site 90% of doctors dont know how to diagnose it properly, its explained why and how it should be done on this page http://parathyroid.com/diagnosis.htm

The basic gist of it is that Doctors are taught at med school that people with Hyperparathyroidism have high Calcium and high PTH, however this is only true in 75% of cases, 25% will have high Calcium and a PTH that is in the higher end of the normal range, but still normal, most doctors will see results like that and say that PTH isnt high so therefore it isnt Hyperparathyroidism and miss the diagnosis.

Also in some people the Calcium is high but still in the normal range, most doctors will tell the patient that it is fine.

The important thing to remember is that high Calcium suppresses the level of PTH, if you have high Calcium even if it is still just in the normal range, your PTH should be low, if you have a healthy parathyroid. If your Calcium is high or high normal and your PTH is high or high normal then you have parathyroidism.
I hope for your sake this is what it is because it is very treatable.

All the best

Thanks a lot Ric. I will bring this to my endocrinologist next time I see him.

aprilk1869

I posted this on this thread however I've decided to re-post for those of you who might specifically be interested in vit D.
--

Based on Dog Person's recent posts regarding people's issues with iron and lead, I came across this info which I though was relevant to this discussion. Annesse is against the use of vit D supplements.

Sunlight Increases Lead Absorption

A great majority of lead poisoning cases occur in summer. Animal experiments have demonstrated that vitamin D and the rays of the summer sun enhance the absorption of lead from the intestine.

Smith et al. (1978) have shown that vitamin D stimulated lead absorption in vitamin D-deprived animals. The possibility also exists that summer heat leads to dehydration and acidosis in young children. Vitamin D also increases the mobilization of lead from its storage depots in the bones and so precipitates the acute manifestations of the disease.

Summer is also a time of growth spurts, when the development of new bone calls for a fast turnover of calcium. Lead rides alongside the calcium into the blood stream, to attack the nervous system and the brain itself.

http://www.arltma.com/LeadToxDoc.htm

I wonder if low vit D levels is the body's way of preventing the absorption of lead?

wastwater

I'd rather see a vitamin D trial than a CBT GET trial they should move onto something else vit D is a better place to start