1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Synergy Trial: Ritalin and Micronutrients

Discussion in 'Active Clinical Studies' started by catly, Oct 9, 2013.

1. catly

catly

outside of NYC
    http://thesynergytrial.org/

Just curious if anyone has heard of this and if anyone is participating?

My CFS MD told me about it, but I don't qualify since I'm on Valcyte.
    Bob likes this.
  2. Flower1978

Flower1978

Anyone here participating in this study?
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    I don't want to be known as the harbinger of cynicism and gloom but the trial sounds like its treating vague amorphous fatigue.
    And who knows what the already available drug is (one used for depression perhaps).
    Kind of short on details.
    If it were available here I wouldn't bother with it.
  4. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    I think the combo in question is a Ritalin generic and a supplement combo. Not sure what I think about that. Might be helpful for cognitive dysfunction, which is a problem for many of us.
  5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    That's fair enough. But how will you know if the trial is a success for people like us with such loose parameters.
  6. SOC

USA
    Agreed. I'd need to know a lot more about this research before I'd participate, but hey, since I'm not near the research sites, I'm not willing to do much to find out more. ;)
  7. Persimmon

Persimmon Senior Member

Their website indicates they're using Fukuda (only).

The flier certainly looks dodgy, but notice the trial centres:
    Stanford
    NYC
    Ft Lauderdale
    Salt Lake City

That presumably means Montoya, Enlander, Klimas and Bateman are involved.

If they're doing a double-blinded multi-site trial and have persuaded those four to participate, I'd be satisfied.

Could a PRer in America please ring their recruitment phone number & find out whether those 4 are involved?
    deirdre and SOC like this.
  8. Kati

Kati Patient in training

9. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Interesting. The study is testing a low dose of generic Ritalin plus a 'nutrient formula' defined as: "vitamins, minerals, and other cofactors: amino acids, antioxidants, and mitochondrial cofactors." (Includes: acetyl-L-carnitine, alpha lipoic acid, N-acetyl cysteine, L-taurine, B-vitamins.) The full list of ingredients can be seen here: http://thesynergytrial.org/study-treatment/ (scroll to bottom of page.)

It could be interesting, but I don't personally hold out much hope for stimulants as a treatment for ME.
    (I think some patients have reported that Modafinil can be helpful, but that has an unusual mechanism that increases wakefulness rather than being a standard stimulant.)

Study Start Date: November 2013
    Estimated Study Completion Date: September 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    NK17, deirdre, heapsreal and 2 others like this.
  10. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    The supplement looks ok similar to what many of us take now. I wonder what this supp would cost compared to buying them individually. Be nice to take a couple of pills rather than 6 million currently.
    deirdre and Bob like this.
  11. deirdre

deirdre

Montoya, Klimas, Bateman and Sue Levine in NYC.- Confirmed.
    SOC and Persimmon like this.
  12. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    well done @Persimmon
    good guess, maybe detective work for you when you become well again:)
    deirdre likes this.
  13. SOC

USA
    The OTC version of the micronutrient formula looks like nothing special compared to what PWME take routinely, so the main benefit of this product (if there is one) appears to be in the Ritalin.
  14. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    maybe convenience of one bottle of pills instead of heaps of bottles of pills lol??

Its sort of a generic mito cocktail.
  15. SOC

USA
    Maybe. :) I'd still prefer to know how much of each component I'm getting rather than just accept their "Proprietary Blend of Energy and Immune Boosting Nutrients". I'm not even sure that kind of description would mean I'd get the same amount of say, acetyl-l-carnitine, from one bottle to the next. There has to be a reason they don't list the amount of each ingredient separately. Perhaps I'm just a hard sell. ;)

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what Montoya, Klimas, Bateman, and Levine have to say when it's all over.
  16. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    [quote="SOC, post: 431937in member: 842]Maybe. :) I'd still prefer to know how much of each component I'm getting rather than just accept their "Proprietary Blend of Energy and Immune Boosting Nutrients". I'm not even sure that kind of description would mean I'd get the same amount of say, acetyl-l-carnitine, from one bottle to the next. There has to be a reason they don't list the amount of each ingredient separately. Perhaps I'm just a hard sell. ;)

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what Montoya, Klimas, Bateman, and Levine have to say when it's all over.[/quote]
    Yep can only fit so much In one pill. I would need a pill the size of a hockey puk to fit all my supps.
    xchocoholic, SOC and maryb like this.
  17. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    Forebearance and SOC like this.
  18. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Thanks @Bob
    This is it. Looks like something a lot of people on here would take (not me can't tolerate multi's)
    - so the low dose Ritalin is obviously the key.

[​IMG]
    SOC, Valentijn and Bob like this.
  19. Bob

Bob

England, UK
  20. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Fwiw, I've been experimenting with taking caffeine pills almost everyday since Feb 3rd and they're helping my energy level.

I can't say they've helped my cognitive abilities tho. I'd fail a pop quiz in simple Math immediately.

And I certainly couldn't have tried this prior to eliminating my food intolerances in 2005 and letting my body heal as much as it has in the last 8 years. Healing was important for me.

I wouldn't qualify for this study tho due to seizures and possibly my left bundle branch block. I suspect a lot of pwcs dx with the ccc would be ineligible.

I'll let y'all know if I keel over. ;)

Tc .. x
    brenda, Valentijn and heapsreal like this.

See more popular forum discussions.