The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Synergy Trial: Phase 2 results out

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by John Mac, Sep 13, 2017.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    http://www.kpaxpharmaceuticals.com/the-synergy-trial

A follow up study to the phase 1 study discussed here:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...henidate-ritalin-trial-results-are-out.37363/

2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Thanks. The description of results is sadly insufficiently detailed to understand whether this treatment is useful.

This sounds like results were generally not statistically significantly different compared to the control group.

Okay, but how well did the control group do? If they had similar results then this means nothing.

Generally poor results is what I would expect. Conceptually ME/CFS seems to be a state of dysregulation, hypersensitivity and controlled shutdown and a stimulant isn't going to do much good for any of these. There was some chance that this combination could work to address energy production deficits but doesn't look like it's working well.

Hutan, Webdog, Cheshire and 4 others like this.
  3. Groggy Doggy

Groggy Doggy Who let the dogs out?!! Woof! Woof!

I wonder, were the study results gained strictly via a patient's self report? Were the study participants promised a discount to purchase the KPAX nutrient product?

Looks like KPAX wants to start phase 3 trials.

http://www.kpaxpharmaceuticals.com/partnering-opportunities

Valentijn likes this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I'm fine with that. Maybe it's useful for a subgroup and they think they can make it work for that purpose.

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Groggy Doggy

I would prefer the study participants undergo some kind of before and after testing with for example CPET. I don't know how reliable self reporting is, especially as you pointed out that we need to see what the control group results are.

6. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

UK
    At the very least I think they should have them wearing actometers throughout the trial and for many months afterwards.

7. Groggy Doggy

It might be cheaper, and simpler for a ME peep to simply purchase an inexpensive bottle of a few of the listed ingredients (NAC, ALCAR, etc) to see if any improvement is gained (by taking just one ingredient at a time for a few weeks). I am not a proponent of taking a multi-supplement product without understanding which ingredients are helpful/do nothing/hurtful. If a stimulant is desired then I suggest possibly working with an MD to get Rx for Phentermine.

Phase 3 FDA trials are very expensive. Seems like a lot of money that could be better spent on funding ME scientific research (ex: OMF).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  8. Murph

Murph :)

The IACFSME conference last year included a report from Lucinda Bateman on this trial.

I looked at the data at the time. The patients got a lot better but so did the controls! Certainly a frustrating one.

Here's the rundown from the conference:

The Synergy Trial for CFS – A Phase 2 Study of Low-Dose Methylphenidate plus Mitochondrial Support in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Lucinda Bateman, MD, Nancy Klimas, MD, Jose Montoya, MD, Susan Levine, MD, Jon D. Kaiser, MD

Background

CNS stimulants have been utilized to treat CFS symptoms though their benefits are often limited and their tolerability is uncertain. Evidence of mitochondrial dysfunction in CFS patients has also been identified in several publications. Micronutrient support has been shown to improve mitochondrial function. One open-label trial in CFS patients has been published showing a significant benefit to combining these two treatment modalities.

Objectives

This Phase 2 multicenter, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial (n=128) was performed at four US research clinics to examine the clinical effects and safety profile of combining low-dose methylphenidate plus mitochondrial micronutrient support in patients with CFS.

Methods

128 CFS patients (1994 Fukuda criteria) were randomized in double-blinded fashion to two parallel arms: a double treatment group (methylphenidate + mitochondrial support) and a double placebo group to investigate the potential synergistic effect of this combination. Fatigue and concentration disturbance symptoms were measured at baseline, 4 weeks, and 12 weeks using two clinically validated tools: Checklist Individual Strength (CIS) and Visual Analog Scale (VAS). The primary objective of the study was to measure the treatment’s safety as well as its efficacy utilizing the change in CIS total score.

Results

At twelve weeks there was a change in the mean CIS total score of -16.9 in the treatment group and -13.8 for the placebo group when compared to baseline (P = 0.36). In the PP population, there was a change in the mean CIS total score of -20.9 in the treatment group and -12.6 for the placebo groups at Day 84 (P = 0.19). The change in the mean VAS score for fatigue from baseline was -18.2 in the treatment group and -11.1 in the placebo group (P = 0.19). Adverse events were not significantly different between the two groups.

Conclusion

Treatment with low-dose methylphenidate plus mitochondrial micronutrient support in CFS patients was well tolerated during this trial. Using a validated patient reported outcome measurement tool, overall CFS symptoms decreased in a majority of the treatment subjects. Though statistical significance was not achieved in this Phase 2 trial, all analyses revealed an advantage to the treatment group. Further investigation is warranted.

- Lucinda Bateman, MD, Medical Director Bateman Horne Center1002 E. South Temple, Suite 408
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84102

- This trial was sponsored by K-PAX Pharmaceuticals, Mill Valley, CA - No conflicts of interest.

Cheshire, Groggy Doggy and Esther12 like this.
  9. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member

This trial was sponsored by K-PAX Pharmaceuticals, Mill Valley, CA - No conflicts of interest.

Uh?

No statistical significance? So, does anyone know what's in the mito micronutrient.

This is one I'm a little iffy on. Stimulants really seemed to worsen some of my symptoms, though I haven't taken Ritalin. I have heard some people get worse fatigue on them after a few hours - although I guess the mito supplement could prevent that. But that's all in addition to it's numerous side effects.

But mostly I'm wondering if they are noticing Ritalin is a decent treatment for orthostatic intolerance/pots of which many with ME/CFS have.

A.B. and Valentijn like this.
  10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    The results aren't "out" unless they're published...

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.