Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Surprising Shortcut to Better Health

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by charityfundraiser, May 5, 2012.

1. charityfundraiser

charityfundraiser Senior Member

The Surprising Shortcut to Better Health
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/the-surprising-shortcut-to-better-health/

Snippets:

SickOfSickness likes this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Do you have any idea what ME/CFS actually is? That we have an abnormal physiology involving things like muscle use and ability to stand upright?

I can't even stand up for 20 minutes without feeling crappy, much less be active that long. My "safe" limit on a good day is 5 minutes. On a bad day, it's 0 minutes. 15 minutes of light activity while sitting down made me crash. On a good day.

xchocoholic likes this.
  3. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
    @ valentijn

you don't need to stand up for 20 minutes, the theory is that you have to move every 20 minutes in order to "activate" for your spinal liquid.

I understand it is impossible for a lot of patients who are completely bedridden. An alternative is to move your toes, feet or legs every once in a while.
    That's how I did some years ago. My relatives took the initiative to move my toes and feet whan I was awake because I was unable to for a very long time.

That was 3 years ago and things are a lot different now.

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I liked the idea of twenty minutes pottering about being all the exercise that's needed.. then I got to this bit:

Curses.

This was the conclusion, and I wish I'd followed this approach when I'd first gotten ill, rather than the weird quackery that collects around CFS:

5. charityfundraiser

charityfundraiser Senior Member

That's why this is posted in "Other Health News and Research".

Some people with CFS are more well than others, and some people are more well at some periods than other periods. I couldn't stand up for 5 minutes or sit for 1 hour for several years. At some points, I couldn't even roll over in bed and feeling crappy is an understatement for how I felt lying down. Not all posts are going to apply to everyone.

Here's how I read articles. I don't have to apply them 100% literally to myself. I take what I can and stretch the ideas. If I read something about the first 20 minutes being the most effective, then I think okay, then maybe the first 5 minutes is also relatively more effective. If the article says stand up every 20 minutes and I can't do that, then I think okay, maybe I can stand up for 30 seconds every hour and try more or less from there. If the article says 20 minutes of standing or walking and I can't do that, then I think okay, maybe I'll try 20 minutes of passive stretching while sitting or lying down, or 2 minutes.

taniaaust1, merylg and anne_likes_red like this.
  6. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Thanks for the snippets, the last one is useful.

7. Gavman

Gavman Senior Member

Sydney
    I like it charity. Guestimating is fun. :eek:)
    A note on the last one, about sitting down for too long - i've met a few older sportspeople who seem to be able to stay fluid and stretched, everywhere except their hip flexors. This is a major player in moving the legs and gets tight quite quickly from sitting too long. People in office jobs would probably understand this.

See more popular forum discussions.