1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Subverting of the ME/CFS Mind

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Mark, Aug 23, 2013.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I have read this before. Some of the commentary is interesting too. That this can happen at all is a real problem. Medicine by political ideology stuffs up everywhere I see it, though to be fair I probably see it only where it stuffs up.
  2. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Amen!! Jody - I was never a big reader before I became ill. It might seem odd, but I find it refreshing to read a lot of the fitness magazines just to remind myself what my body used to be capable of and possibly again someday.

Many of the travel articles and interview articles of many of the people that you probably will not see interviewed anymore help take my pain and sick feeling away. Occasionally, there will be an article that is science related that may touch base on our plight for a cure or just some relief.

Read a recent article about 4 college graduates that adopted wild Mustangs and recruited experienced guides and trail riders. They are going to ride from Arizona to Montana on Public Land through the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. They are also wanting to bring attention to the approx. 47,000 Mustangs just corralled in pens so they will not graze on grass land used for private cattle ranchers and the approx. 37,000 still roaming free. Going on a trip like that just occupies my mind for a long time.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/travel/01-16-13-modern-adventurers-four-texas-am-grads-set-out-to-ride-wild-mustangs-3000-miles-to-canada/

Recently read a wonderfully written article and interview about Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones which was a period in which I grew up in and it brought back memories of times when I could enjoy myself.

The pain that hurts the most was not being able to be a critical part of my children's life and not being able to save my marriage.

So, yes it really hurts to be all alone to a horrid disease that for the most part is shunned by the medical community and I really believe many of them are afraid of tackling the vast amount of research that will be needed to cure many of the diseases with unknown etiologies.

At some point the socialized medical programs in the world will have to address research very had instead of just treating symptoms to feed big pharma.
    rosie26, Izola and Jody like this.
  3. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    So many responses to this article ! I have been reading them all, so sorry to know about all the bad experiences, fascinated by the different trains of thoughts and ways of handling things.

I normally try to respond to everyone who speaks directly to me, but there are so many I am overwhelmed.

There are some wonderful writers in this community, so expressive and articulate. You should all be writing articles.:)
    Izola, Wayne, helen1 and 5 others like this.
  4. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

the article you wrote, jody, is great. and the comments are even more powerful. so sad to read it all. i think of myself, of course, because i can relate to much of it, and also my bedridden friends who are often on the verge of either death or suicide due to this disease. and i think of my friend who did in fact take his own life after 17 yrs with me/cfs. (rest in peace, sweet patrick. i'm thinking of you right now.)
    Izola, Jody, Wayne and 3 others like this.
  5. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

the article you wrote, jody, is great. and the comments are even more powerful. so sad to read it all. i think of myself, of course, because i can relate to much of it, and also my bedridden friends who are often on the verge of either death or suicide due to this disease. and i think of my friend who did in fact take his own life after 17 yrs with me/cfs. (rest in peace, sweet patrick. i'm thinking of you right now.)
  6. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    I agree Jody, there are some amazing writers and thinkers here, great expression of thoughts. I have realized that I am not so hot at it myself. :)
  7. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Wayne, thanks.

"I read once, and have come to believe, that the consequences of holding onto “justifiable” anger are no different than holding onto unjustifiable anger. The body, mind, emotions, etc. are pretty much affected similarly, and not in a good way.

Speaking for myself only, I’ve realized that holding onto any kind of anger is akin to “an expensive luxury”. It may make me feel better temporarily, and perhaps even give me a sense of recovering a power lost, but I’ve generally found these to be fleeting experiences. Even more importantly for myself, I’ve come to a firm belief that if thinking of somebody causes me to become angry, and/or disturbed in any manner, then I’m in a sense giving them control over my life. This is the very last thing I want to do, especially since some of these kinds of people have the profile of an “energy parasite”, who often, whether consciously or unconscsiously, try to feed off of others’ anger."

I agree entirely. Some say that we need anger, even if it is for others before we will take action but I don't know about this. As you say, our bodies don't know if the anger is righteous or not (nor whether laughter is real of forced). For me the solution must be spiritual.
    SanDiego#1 and Wayne like this.
  8. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

the link works for me.
    Izola likes this.
  9. Erik Johnson

Erik Johnson Senior Member

Paulbe isn't kidding. What he says is true.
  10. currer

currer Senior Member

Thanks, Jody for an excellent article which must have been painful to write.

Like you I have become more politically aware since becoming ill, and I am horrified by the attack on humane values that is going on in all Western societies at the moment.

To be sick is not a crime, so why the attempt to portray the sick as hateful. In a capitalist society to be economically inactive is to be despised and unwanted. These attitudes have arisen before and always led to politically driven crimes against the citizen.

I am concerned by the current attempt in Britain to change the stance of the Royal College of Medical practitioners on euthanasia. In societies where the disabled and sick are despised this is a very dangerous stance. http://pjsaunders.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/rcgp-chairman-glare-gerada-moves-to-gag.html
    Claire Gerada and Fiona Godlee? familiar names!
    SanDiego#1, Jody and Battery Muncher like this.
  11. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada

lol Rosie! You are hotter at it than you think.:)
    rosie26 likes this.
  12. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    :D Jody x :)
    Izola and Jody like this.
  13. Izola

Izola Senior Member

Thank you Jody. Thank you all. Iz
    rosie26 likes this.
  14. Jody

Jody Senior Member