1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The shot gun approach- mitochondrial/ methylation/ antoxidants

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by heapsreal, May 29, 2012.

1. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    a
    ctua;;y no w i think of it heaps I am not sure if it is the daury free or the licorice root caps that have changed my appetite as I started both together but something is working consitently and liqorice is said to stabilize blood sugar levels.

2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    if your carb intake is reduce so does appetitte for some, when i eat very little carbs it really heps reduce my apetitte.

cheers!!!

Sallysblooms likes this.
  3. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    oh yes i find that with a high protein diet which is probably the same thing said another way

4. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    For anyone taking creatine..you have to make sure to drink more water. Even if you are taking a small amount, be on the safe side and drink more water. Any insights on the best creatine to take? I've always heard about creatine monohydrate being good except for more bloating issues that come with it. I have some creatine orotate that I may get back on a small dosage of that. Anyone know both the pro's and con's of the orotate version?

Allyson likes this.
  5. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    I havent noticed any bloating with monohydrate, also i think most of the research on creatine has been on monohydrate. I did read a rumor that the other types of creatine is a marketing gimick to try and make their product sound better, but i dont really know, monohydrate seems the best priced and it works for me.

cheers!!!

Allyson likes this.
  6. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    i am on monohydrate NOW brand caps and find no bloating or any other side effects
    it is a win win med for me
    I see Dr T recommended it years ago in his book and sorry I didn t start it sooner
    I am sleeping better on it too

heapsreal likes this.
  7. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
  8. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Ive tried both of those and for myself it was the opposite way around to what Allyson experienced.. for me the Biovea melatonin helps (it was their sublingual pills I took) and the Circadin one (which was a slow release one) didnt help at all.

Allyson likes this.
  9. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    I tried valdoxan which works on melatonin receptors as well as a specific serotonin receptor 5ht2c, its marketed as an antidepressant. I tried this and it helped some but needed to use it with other meds for sleep. Due to price i dont think its worth it but if the price comes down then i would consider it.
    I have a script for circadin so will try it soon and compare.

10. Adster

Adster Senior Member

Australia
    Melatonin taken sublingually appears to be many times "stronger" than when it is taken orally, for me at least. I've ended up with what was obviously too high a dose by using an oral tablet sublingually, which resulted in pretty nasty anxiety and confusion in a semi sleep state. So you do have to be a bit careful with this stuff. Now, if I feel like I'm not going to get to sleep so easily, I hold the tablet under my tongue for 10-20 seconds before swallowing it. The effect is quite noticeable.

Allyson likes this.
  11. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    That's not a rumor, it's the truth :) Anybody can sell generic CM, so to make money the supplement makers come up with supposedly superior formulations, of which I've never seen any study that shows an actual benefit. That's just another case of arguments being made by pathways and mechanisms, which don't hold to be true in actual outcomes.

12. Sherlock

Czechosherlockia, USA
    As for me, if I don't get the expected water weight gain then I think the creatine was wasted. Strength will not improve otherwise. As far as other effects, such as in the brain? I don't know.

You might have heard of Will Brink, a respected science-oriented writer on exercise and related nutrition. Here's his video on how you even need to make sure the crystals are completely dissolved in order to get the max benefit:

13. Sherlock

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Here is similar:
    http://www.beyond-a-century.com/D-Ribose-BioEnergy-Powder--200-grams_p_192.html

200 gr for $20, there are shipping coupons that vary month by month, and very occasionally shipping is free.

Having been on more than a few discussion groups of nutrition-wonks over the years, I've never heard anything except good things about the quality of their powders. I know they are ultra reliable and ship quickly. I've never ordered d-ribose but have ordered other things through the years.

Allyson likes this.
  14. Sherlock

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Hey, Allyson, it's good to see you are having such good results.

As far as creatine in beef, it works out to something like eating pounds of beef to get the 5 g in one teaspoon of CM. But yes, knowing that it occurs naturally in beef should allay anyone's fears that it is like some drug.

As far as the loading phase that you mention, I don't do that anymore. It seems I get the same effect almost as fast without wasting the amounts on the loading phase (usually 3-5x the 5 g).

Allyson likes this.
  15. Sherlock

Czechosherlockia, USA
    that has always been advised to get the insulin spike that aids absorption. Whey protein and many other proteins also spike insulin.
    that's been observed to be helpful in actual use, and explained because of the ATP -- either stoking up beforehand or replenishing after.

Allyson likes this.
  16. Sherlock

Czechosherlockia, USA
    speaking of d-ribose and recovery, if anyone's interested there's a fairly new product out in the world called Synthagen that's apparently an assortment of ingredients claimed to help with RNA synthesis etc. I've never bought any and probably never will, I'm just mentioning it because I'd guess it contains whatever is currently claimed to be of some value in that area.

http://www.musclemass.com/MASS_PRO_Synthagen_ProtoGeneX.html

However, I do see TMG (betaine) mentioned, which I'd just bought to try as a methyl donor. I suppose that I'll also see if it aids in PWO recovery at all.

17. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    wow, there creatine is cheap $14 for 1000grams

Allyson likes this.
  18. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    thanks for all the useful info Sherlock
    i thought protein did NOT cause an insulin spike? a high gi food or sugar will but protein and vegies do dod not what was what i believed to be the case form my reading

also I can t see the clip as my laptop is old and sound is broken but i had thought that the capsules were not dissolving well and will now take care to dissolve the Creatine powder carefully before drinking; thanks for posting - was there any other vital info in the clip please?

19. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    I was thinking about the warm water dissolving creatine, now anything that u drink creatine with even cold drinks will eventually warm up inside the stomach, so i dont think it would matter much really??

Protein will stimulate an insulin release but its very mild compared to carbs and fat has almost no insulin releasing effects. protein also stimulates the hormone glucagon which helps your body to use non glucose sources of energy eg fats and certain amino's as an energy supply. glucagon helps balance out insulins glucose lowering effects and is the reason why protein has appetitte suppressing effects, where as carbs alone stimulate appettite as insulin is spiked and lowers glucose levels below normal and then gives the urge to eat more carbs to try and raise blood glucose levels again. this can get into a viscious circle and is a big cause of putting on weight and eating too much. This is whylow carb diets are effective for weight loss. im rambling but thats the low down on macro's and effects on insulin, plus there are variables between individuals etc depending on ones insulin sensitivity.

cheers!!!

merylg likes this.
  20. Sherlock

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Hi, Allyson and Heapsreal:
    There was the landmark study on the insulin index, and here is an article with comments from the authors, Holt and Brand-Miller:
    http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/17/1615/insulin-index/

Taking a look at the actual study, from 1997:
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf
    with white bread being 100: beef scores at 51, pasta at 40, Honeysmacks cereal 67, apples 59 etc

Now at the moment I can't find a figure for whey, but I believe it's higher than beef and you can see the following study where they choose whey because of its insulinogenic properties in trying to lessen serum glucose rises after meals:
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/82/1/69.abstract
    "Effect of whey on blood glucose and insulin responses to composite breakfast and lunch meals in type 2 diabetic subjects"

Also, as far as dissolving, the usual approach has been to use very hot water and then cool it for drinking. If you put it in average body temp water (~97F for PWCs haha :) then it won't dissolve completely. It's said that eventually bacteria in the intestines will get it and then possibly generate gas. Btw, you can't mix it up long beforehand, because it will be turning into creatinine. That's why nobody sells bottled creatine, but then again I bet somebody does these days and they will make sales.

Allyson, the video shows using room temp tap water compared to hot tap water. Can you make it out in this image? Even the hot tap water does not dissolve it all.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Allyson likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.