1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Secret History Behind The Science Of Stress

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by barbc56, Jul 8, 2014.

1. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

This is absolutly fascinating.

It involves Big Tobacco and for me, as I would think for others it''s new information. Who would have thought, the research about stress and type A behavior was started by Big Tobacco and for nefarious reasons.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/07/07/325946892/the-secret-history-behind-the-science-of-stress

While, I'm not sure if this invaladates all research on stress, the article is not only eye opening but also a refreshing look at reseach about stress and the fact that it may not be as big a contributor to health as previously thought.

It will be interesting to see how if this impacts, if any, future studies or how the medical profession views "stress related illnesses.

Barb

biophile, Iquitos, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Sean, biophile, Iquitos and 2 others like this.
  3. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    Small correction - Eysenck was a psychologist, not a psychiatrist (ie not a medical doctor).

barbc56 and Esther12 like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks - whoops. He was at the Institute of Psychiatry, so I'm going to be forgiving of myself on that one.

barbc56 likes this.
  5. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

The Type A stuff and its linkage to heart disease has been debunked. Also stuff about personality and cancer, and behavioral therapies and cancer. Consider--everyone's going to die, and those are two principal exits, so there are going to be a lot of personality types using the same doors.

I believe Selye's work was limited to physiological stress, not what we today call "stress".

He did lots of good work--he was obviously not a total shill for Big Tobacco. These days, many if not most scientific publications request that authors reveal their source of funds.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    biophile and barbc56 like this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

7. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

8. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    i wonder if the psychobabblers said stress was a cause of cancer because way back they didnt know much about it, just like ME now?

See more popular forum discussions.