• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Salt Poll

What is My Attitude Towards Salt?

• I crave it, I salt (virtually) everything. I need salt!

Votes: 183 51.0%
  • I like salt, I use it in moderate amounts but I don't crave it

Votes: 126 35.1%
  • Salt? Puh! I'm neither one way or the other regarding salt.

Votes: 36 10.0%
  • Salt is bad news! I stay away from salt religiously.

Votes: 14 3.9%

• Total voters

Calathea

Spitfire, how much salt did you put into your water? I suspect that some people are putting in too much! Try a pinch in a glass, and if you tolerate that, two pinches.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Just read this new info on salt from Physician's First Watch:

IOM Report Notes Doubts on Dietary Sodium Recommendations
By Amy Orciari Herman

New research supports the health benefits of lowering sodium intake from very high levels to more moderate levels (i.e., 2300 mg/day), according to an Institute of Medicine (IOM) report, but reducing intake too much might actually be detrimental to one's health.

Current guidelines recommend a 2300 mg daily limit for those at average risk, and a 1500 mg limit for higher-risk individuals such as blacks, adults over age 50, and those with diabetes or kidney disease. The new IOM report concludes that evidence is insufficient to determine whether lowering intake below 2300 mg raises or lowers cardiovascular risk in the general population. In addition, there's not enough evidence to indicate that higher-risk adults should have lower targets than those at average risk; in fact, some research points to possible harms with lower intake among higher-risk individuals.

Link(s):
IOM report (Free) http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227;67835796;tdgMAU5+qIqeQ+U4O7L9N5OvyH07Gl57V/HCYHE9nZQ=
IOM news release (Free) http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227;67835796;tdgMAU5+qIqeQ+U4O7L9N8f1OGRw+N5HV/HCYHE9nZQ=
Background: Previous Physician's First Watch coverage of the salt controversy (Free) http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227;67835796;tdgMAU5+qIqeQ+U4O7L9N+gu76xb/tNCV/HCYHE9nZQ=

Lolo

I am at the point that I don't trust research and studies etc. They keep changing their minds. Why? (It's a rhetorical question) I think each person has to work out what's best for themselves. Keeping in mind their lifestyles, (athletic), known risk factors, (living in a hot climate), genetics etc.

I don't know if it is mentioned in this thread but there is a book called The Salt Fix by James DiNicolantonio if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

ellie84

I always craved salt, but now I don't crave it as much as in the past. When I was little I used to eat coarse salt. In Italy we use coarse salt to salt boiling water (for pasta, vegetables, potatoes, broth ect.). I used to steal it from the kitchen. It has pretty big grains here, one of those on its own is probably more than the recommended daily intake. :rofl: I also used to add to salt every food, even after it was already added. My mom was always complaining.
Then I started following the general recommendations that adding salt is bad and we only need the salt that is already in foods. So for many years I only salted raw vegetables and water for boiling. But I still craved salty foods (pickles, chips, raw ham etc. yummie :xeyes:). Though I find that the less salt I eat the less I crave it. Curiously sodium in my analyses was always slightly low. The last time it was just one point above the low normal range. Now I'm starting to salt food again in moderation.
I don't think I have low BP, when it has been measured it has always been normal or slightly elevated. But I get nervous around doctors. I also never feel dizzy, except for very rare instances and it's only for a few seconds. But I think there must be something with my adrenals, I don't think it's normal to regularly eat coarse salt, come on!:rolleyes:

xebex

i don't particularly crave it but find it helpful. I get muscle hypo-perfusion in my back which doc explained is to do with lax blood vessels not pumping the blood around properly so the muscles in my back aren't getting oxygenated. Taking salt helps the pain go away, and allows me to stand up for longer without triggering it. I'll salt load for a few days and the pain will be reduced for maybe a week or so. If i take salt every day i'll start gagging on it, so i just salt load when needed. I don't crave salty food, my food craving are spicy foods, which i think is to do with the endorphins it releases.

ellie84

Oh wow, didn't know that. Could it be the reason I'm craving chili peppers lately? Body's looking for endorphins? That doesn't surprise me in the least actually.

Mouse girl

I don't crave salt but it helped me feel much better back when someone told me to try it many many years ago.

I stopped eating salt when i was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. I put my life at risk. My salt was so low that thank god i had some blood work done and my doctor said i needed to go to the hospital. I told him I stopped eating salt for three weeks due to the high blood pressure so he had e add it right away. I felt better within a day. but my salt and electrolites are still very low.