Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The role of IP-10 in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by JaimeS, May 2, 2017.

1. eljefe19

eljefe19

Hey, thank you internet friend, that's kind of you to say. I'm only saying Ron Davis should know since I'm now the 7th person I know to have benefit such as me from this drug. I figured it's time he hear that unlike what he said in his last video, Rapamycin actually appears to counterintuitively work, and by at least 3 possible mechanisms!
    Cheers!

MEMum, Jesse2233 and Aroa like this.
  2. eljefe19

eljefe19

Ay Scott, buddy, no worries.
    I got the hook up on the 1 mg tabs, and they are just under $200 for 30, and something like $550 for 90.
    PM me.
    I'm thinking I'm going to do a 3-4 month course and then stop and see.

MEMum, Sancar, Jesse2233 and 2 others like this.
  3. adreno

adreno PR activist

MEMum and ukxmrv like this.
  4. AdamS

AdamS Senior Member

@adreno VSL#3 passed by the looks of the article, but yeah, I doubt any of those yoghurt drinks would help a disease as complex as ME/CFS to any great degree. Sounds like Rapamune is the front runner currently :D

MEMum likes this.
  5. katcoff

katcoff

Not surprised since Rapamycin is an immune suppressant like Rituximab, so by tamping down the immune response the CFS/ME sufferer feels better. I'm reluctant to try it as it may be that the immune response is a reaction to a pathogen. What if Dr. Pridgen is right and it's caused by a herpes infection in the CNS? He will be doing anti-viral phase III trials later this year, so maybe it would be better to wait and see, otherwise one could be exposed to unwanted complications from a weakened immune system.

6. necessary8

necessary8

Okay what the actual hell? We had decent arguments that mTORC1 inhibition is an important part of the mechanism. And now taking the main mTORC1 inhibitor makes people cured? What?

I'm sure there is some way to make sense of this, but it's beyond me. Would someone try to hypothesize how this is possible? @nandixon? @JamieS?

Also, @eljefe19, are you one of the people who took acne antibiotics right before their illness started? Or are any of the people who improved with rapamycin in that group?

debored13 and MEMum like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I wouldn't get too excited over a week of modest improvement. Maybe in 3-6+ months when the person in question is working full time and exercising regularly, I might get excited.

anni66, L'engle, MEMum and 4 others like this.
  8. eljefe19

eljefe19

Agreed, that's why I said take with a grain of salt. However, @Tunguska has described in great lengths how Rapamycin could be causing immediate relief. Inhibition of mTorC1.

Oddly, Rapamycin reliably activates Akt and Akt dependent pathways upstream of mTOR, which likely outweighs the mTorC1 inhibition.

Next to add to Rapamycin will be NA-R-ALA, following @Tunguska, I have faith in you, @nandixon , @Hip , @adreno and all the others too. Does any of you know of any other mTor-/Akt+ agents? Or just simply Akt activators??

MEMum, JaimeS and Jesse2233 like this.
  9. necessary8

necessary8

10. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    Possibly resveratrol:

"This investigation demonstrates that PI3-K/Akt activation is an important signaling in resveratrol-mediated activation of AMPK phosphorylation..., and inhibition of...cytokines production in response to LPS"

MEMum likes this.
  11. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member

I'm happy your feeling better, but can you be more clear about your me/cfs symptoms and the response to Rapamune? You said you felt almost cured but only specify brain fog as having improved. Things like pre-treatment and post-treatment fatigue score, activity levels, neuro-muscular or allergy symptoms, pain levels, orthostatic intolerance severity would help us all understand how significant the Rapamune treatment has been.

L'engle, Sancar, AdamS and 2 others like this.
  12. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Just stumbled across another thread where I explained why a blocker can help as well as harm.

Many blockers fit into the receptor (others change the shape of the receptor so docking can't occur). If they do, they may have a low-grade effect that could help a deficient patient. If they do, they would also prevent the more active compound from fitting into the receptor, helping a patient with the compound in excess.

Not sure how rapamune works, though, so I can't verify this is the mechanism in this particular case, just that this can be the case. :)

anni66, L'engle, MEMum and 6 others like this.
  13. necessary8

necessary8

Oooh, that is an excellent point. Thank you.

anni66, JaimeS and MEMum like this.
  14. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
    update?

15. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

do you think he got cured and then split?

16. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

No, he was banned.

17. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

for what? any updates on how he did on rapamycin?

18. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

You can try reaching them on reddit. I don't think the rapamycin ended up doing anything for them.

19. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    It was terrible for me too and having had my microbiome analysed by American Gut I think I know why. If I remember correctly it contains high amounts of L Acidopholus which can feed pathogenic bacteria. i try and avoid any probiotic that contains this because it irritate the SIBO I very easily experience whereas the Bifido type probiotics don't. Prescript Assist is one of the best ones for me at the moment.

Pam

L'engle likes this.
  20. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    As I've said elsewhere, I still take something that contains a lot of the same bacteria; so at least in my case, it's where in the gut it 'hits', not the species present.

See more popular forum discussions.