• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The role of infections in autoimmune disease

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
ABSTRACT
Autoimmunity occurs when the immune system recognizes and attacks host tissue. In addition to genetic factors, environmental triggers (in particular viruses, bacteria and other infectious pathogens) are thought to play a major role in the development of autoimmune diseases. In this review, we (i) describe the ways in which an infectious agent can initiate or exacerbate autoimmunity; (ii) discuss the evidence linking certain infectious agents to autoimmune diseases in humans; and (iii) describe the animal models used to study the link between infection and autoimmunity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2665673/

Interesting read.

Martial

I wonder how large of base are actually misdiagnosed as auto immune with actual full infection components. Though a genetic factor also seems to play a role with a host of different diseases.

Martial

I guess if the infection cannot be detected or eradicated, a symptomatic suppression of the inflammation involved, though not optimal, is still a rational approach.

Well it also paints the issue of letting the infection go haywire as the immune system is more compromised, along with the side effects of steroids and the like that come with it. Is the short term relief worth the long term possible complications? This is something I wonder, a kind of risk reward type thing I guess.

lansbergen

Well it also paints the issue of letting the infection go haywire as the immune system is more compromised, along with the side effects of steroids and the like that come with it. Is the short term relief worth the long term possible complications? This is something I wonder, a kind of risk reward type thing I guess.

No steroids for me but there are other ways.

If superoxide excess is a problem as it is most likely in my case a superoxide scavenger can help as it does for me.