1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The role of Adaptive and Innate immune cells in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Enchephalomyelitis

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by aimossy, Dec 19, 2013.

1. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Makes us freakin' miserable. ;)

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Too much blood in some places, not enough in others, we are like jigsaw people if this is right.

aimossy and SOC like this.
  3. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    I was part of this study and have been sick 27 years, so I think they just mean at least 2 years

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Thanks Sea, nice to have that clarified. Even if it was an average just one person sick 27 years would push it way up I would have thought.

5. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    its not bad research eh!:)
    whats next?
    more depth with a bit of expansion with this and a higher cohort number........progress i feel.merry xmas everyone....no wonder we feel like shit!
    :Dim on my phone in a paddock i hope prof jonathan edwards has some comments.phone is difficult so i hope some kind person links this to his thread.:)

6. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Here's his thread:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...tatement-on-uk-rituximab-trial-30-july.24499/

That's as kind as I can manage! :D

aimossy likes this.
  7. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Very helpful summary, thanks!

I wonder whether blood clotting is another issue where there are subgroups? My own erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) has tested normal, and my blood seems to flow normally when I have a cut.

I have recently been getting to grips with some genetic test results from years ago, which I had filed away, and I have a variation in eNOS3 (endothelial nitric oxide synthase 3) that reduces platelet activity.

alex3619 likes this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Its more a propensity for blood clotting, to clot still requires secondary factors, and hence there will be some variability.

9. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Thanks for the summary Alex and for your thoughts. Can you explain why you think (or the authors think) this profile is consistent with autoimmune disease - what they or you are comparing it to - please? Thanks

aimossy likes this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Hi @Firestormm, that was their statement if I recall correctly. Elevated Tregs are, I think, associated with autoimmune diseases. However its possible this is not always true. Elevated Tregs may suppress NK cells too, though I am not sure that is well correlated with autoimmune diseases, I have never heard of that.

That would be a good question to ask Brenu etc.

aimossy and Firestormm like this.
  11. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Just found that ESR is more about inflammation than blood clotting - need to refresh my memory before posting! :redface:

12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

I commented on blood clotting largely due to elevated platelet count. Under conditions where clotting might occur this might induce increased clotting. It still requires a trigger though. Elevated platelets are a known risk factor for thrombosis.

aimossy likes this.
  13. Forebearance

Forebearance Senior Member

Great Plains, US
    Thank you so much for your summary, Alex!

alex3619 likes this.
  14. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    My apologies if this has already been posted.

It's interesting all around but many of you know of my interest in adenosine/adenosine deaminase.

Attached Files:

15. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Senior Member

16. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    Sorry @Ema Im only just up glad someone found it for you.

17. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Threads Merged

18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Board Member

For some reason I have not been getting flags for PR posts recently so I have not seen this until today. Thanks to those who picked it up. The results are complicated and I will need to go through the whole paper carefully. The markers for immature B cells are different from those used by others so there may be no direct comparison possible. Nevertheless, it will be important to see if there is a consistency here or not.

NK17, alex3619, rosie26 and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.