• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Vegas

i wanted to add that I am experimenting with different prebiotics. I've gone back to the drawing board with the aim of finding a way to make this approach to displacing organisms much more tolerable. I continue to believe this problem has a microbial solution and likely involves enhancing the expansion of butyrate-synthesizing clostridial species. Unfortunately, the inter-relationships among the predominant commensals and the complexity of this dynamic allows for only guesswork, so I apologize for how speculative this is.

With that said, if one wanted to minimize bacterial dislocation/translocation, I think they may want to simultaneously seek to stimulate the growth of butyrate producing species while temporarily avoiding aggressive enhancement of bifidobacterial species. While the latter genus is likely essential, and its effects participate in enhancing intestinal integrity, its ability to displace pathogens in the colon is very pronounced. Some species may just be too potent with marked intestinal permeability because one of the consequences of rapidly expanding a particular bifidobacterial species can be a transient escalation of lipopolysaccharide in the GIT, which itself increases colonic permeability. I continue to think these species are just as likely to be implicated in the perpetuation of the condition, but perhaps there is an order of operations that would prove to be more tolerable.

While the displacement of bacteria via cell lysis can dramatically raise extra-intestinal LPS concentrations, this is a consequence of both the pre-existing deficiency of structural integrity and the temporary inflammatory response created by the endotoxin displacement in the bowel. In effect, each time we try to displace bacteria there will be a transient, but highly significant increase in permeability. It's one of those "two steps forward, one step back" situations where a pathogen load is diminished and the epithelial layer gradually improves, but at a price. So, while there is obviously no way to wholly separate the good from the bad and individually micromanage such a complex ecological community, I do think a more targeted approach may be worthwhile. What we can most readily control includes the direct supplementation of the desired organisms, or those prebiotics upon which the organisms utilize.

I think providing conditions more favorable for butyrate synthesis and de-emphasizing bifidobacterial organisms may be one way of easing the extra-intestinal endotoxin burden. @anne_likes_red is using a clostrial butyrate-synthesizing species with apparent benefits. I think this is a sound strategy, but my experience with this is too limited to draw any conclusions. It may have variable effects, in part depending upon the other environmental conditions. One concern I have is that there are reasons that these organisms have not gained a foothold or maintained prominence, and these could be numerous, including, pH, oxidizing conditions, or a host of other reasons. The one I am predominantly focused on is acetate availability. These organisms need acetate for growth, and they can get this from Bifidobacteria species, which are dramatically stimulated by potato starch supplementation; i was considering an alternative source of acetate.

@Gestalt may have found a way of enhancing clostrial butyrate synthesis without Bifidobacterial-synthesized acetate by using larch arabinogalactan, and this may represent another effective strategy. While I haven't been able to fully explore this yet, it looks like Bacteroides species may be able to preferentially access this combination of arabinose and galactose to yield acetate over Bifidobacterial species. (Don't take my word for this, this is simply my initial conclusion).

I am getting good, albeit very preliminary, results from this. It seems this has already lessened P.E.M., and it has also rapidly increased my ability to tolerate proteins. This is exactly what would be expected from butyrate enhancement as it should bolster the synthesis of all fatty acids and increase the efficiency of the glutamine metabolism, which I think represents the core disease process.

I hate to render a conclusion so quickly, and I honestly can only speculate about what is happening, but I think this may have potential to direct the carbon flux towards acetate and butyrate synthesis without so much extra-intestinal endotoxin displacement. At the very least, it seems that selectively stimulating different organisms may provide some benefits given the likely microbial diversity that exists. I will report back in a week or two.

Last edited:
I'm new in this gut area so still catching up some things. My opinion is that the best thing to do is what dr. Borody [LINK] does and hope to be in the lucky 70%. After that, using allot of prebiotics from food and supplements to a keep good guys happy. Hopefully there would be soon more profound method [LINK].

Other way is of course to take probiotics and prebiotics. Dr. Borody says categorically that probiotics will not work, they do not stay and there's no so much species of bacteria commercially available as in the stool. But my opinion is he didn't take in account prebiotics witch will help to keep them alive. Regarding bacteria diversity, I must agree. But still, progress can be made, certainly much slower.
That said, I was researching witch probiotics and prebiotics would be best to take for CFS taking into account witch ones are deficit and taking into account other parameters. Personally I was looking witch part of immune system is stimulated with witch prebiotic and probiotics. As @Gestalf sad, it is hard to draw any smart conclusion. One bacteria probiotic is upregulate something good and on other hand something bad. Prebiotics are even more complicated because they act on more brother range. But still, in study I quote [LINK] RS4 lowers Firmicutes and increased Bacteroidetes. As I'm aware, there is consensus how lean people are having those profile, witch is not bad thing and leans to healtier. So there is still some conclusion witch can be drawn on looking phylum/class level taxonomy.

Now when I know that I do not know much I decided to take following probiotics: [LINK] or/and [LINK]

I'm aware that many are taking VSL#3, but that is not available here in Croatia. Also, from time to time I will add yeast like this [LINK].

Prebiotics will of course be potato starch, Bob's Red Mill [LINK], perhaps even some RS4. Additionally I was thinking to take Inulin [LINK] and Oligofructose (scFOS) [LINK] witch is this one [LINK] [LINK]. As I understand, Inulin is long chain so it ferments in the left side of the colon and FOS in the right side of the colon as explained here [LINK]. Or I'll just take something like this witch contains both [LINK] [LINK]. I'm still having doubts regarding Arabinogalactan but I was thinking to take this one FiberAid [LINK] or ResistAid [LINK]. They are both made from the same company but ResistAid seams new one enhanced with polyphenols [LINK] [LINK].
Any opinions regarding all that?

I read this hole thread, but if I'm correct there isn't many, or any, recoverings? Or I'm wrong?

Also I will like to ask. They used RS4 resistant starch and bake crackers [LINK]. Does that mean RS4 is heat resistant in contrast to RS2 (potato starch)?

Vegas

@Vegas

Thanks for the above post. Without a science background I can't fully understand it, but would this experience make sense according to your understanding? Before GcMAF I had high nagalase--it slowly came down over the months as I injected GcMAF. It is normal now.

I am one of the ones who has had "an easier ride" with RS--about 3 weeks in a period of about 10 days where I felt pretty bad, then a noticeable reduction in PEM and OI.

Do you think that this could be related to having already lowered my nagalase and increased macrophage activity?

Sushi

Yes, I think that is likely. Although the immunomodulatory effects of GcMAF would be considerably more selective than those effects brought about by changes in the composition of the microbiome. In this regard, I would expect changes induced by RS to be considerably less predictable, and potentially more volatile. Not to mention the fact that these changes brought about by RS vs. GcMAF are, to some degree, more durable to the extent that the organisms would continue to populate the GIT, at least more than a week.

If a primary GIT bacterial pathophysiology is able to explain your illness, your improvement may suggest that you had the necessary microbial organisms or supplemented with these along the way, but the GcMAF obviously supplemented the immune response. Of course, there are other, non-bacterial explanations.

I suspect Nagalase exerts a protective effect by limiting the phagocytic response to bacterial pathogens, but there are redundant and overlapping "protective" measures that also serve to limit the virulence of the bacterial threat and hence the immune response. Glycosylation is critically important in how the body responds to exogenous threats. This is consistent with my belief that a complex evolutionary strategy for minimizing extra-intestinal lipopolysaccharide exposure exists. Once you fix the intestinal problem to some degree and the SCFA problem, glycosylation should normalize. Short chain fatty acids are necessary for GPCR signaling. I think if one's bacterial SCFA biosynthesis collapses, so does glycosylation, histone acetylation, methylation, and the entire energy chain. This is where the most confusion lies, this stuff is all coordinated.

Did you experience a corresponding improvement in symptoms, with the Nagalase decline? I don't necessarily believe that these are interdependent, but they certainly have the potential to reduce the pathogen load and improve epithelial integrity/energetics. Did you also have elevated D-lactate, and did this decrease in step with the Nagalase values?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thanks @Vegas

I don't think that "a primary GIT bacterial pathophysiology is able to explain my illness," I believe it is secondary to infection with some intracellular pathogens and a long term immune cascade. I did experience improvement in symptoms as nagalase declined but I have no way to know if they are directly related as I have been doing a complex protocol.

I don't know my D-lactate values I afraid.

Thanks again,
Sushi

Asklipia

Still taking 10 billion Plantarum a day + 25 g dried plantain a day + a teaspoon PS once a week.
Very edgy and dissatisfied. In fact this is exactly the same response I had to taking Flagyl more than 30 years ago.

One observation : my eyes have retracted somehow in their orbits. They are less forward, not that they were in any way noticeably bulging. And they are not noticeably backwards, I just notice it because when I put my contacts on, the distance to my finger is longer.
Since I have no thyroid problems of any kind, I do not know if this is related to thyroid function.

Could it be due to thiamine deficiency, induced by an unbalanced production of B vitamins in the gut, or LPS from killing pathogens?

°°°°°°
Also, still trying to link all this new information about bacterial imbalance to my hypothesis of Fake Folate Poisoning.
Some studies link folic acid to candida overgrowth, see here and here.
I just came across this Portuguese study showing that MSG is being successfully used for growth of bacteria, even more effectively than sucrose.
It could well be one of the reasons why we feel awful when taking MSG, or other Fake Folates. Apart from the excitotoxicity.

°°°°°°
And as to the excitotoxicity, there is a link there with the plantarum that I do not understand.

A higher concentration of glutamate in L. sakei was found when MSG was present in the growth medium (Table 1), contributing substantially to the overall amino acid/solute pool. However, accumulation of many of the other amino acids was heavily suppressed (data not shown), e.g. no glutamine was detected, alanine was suppressed to ca. 9%, valine to ca. 14% and aspartic acid to ca. 25% of the values found in control cells (grown in MRS). Glutamate has already been shown to be accumulated by osmotically stressed L. plantarum (Kets & Bont 1997), in agreement with the general observations that glutamate levels are markedly increased as part of the osmo-adaptive response. Glutamate is probably a counterion for K+ to balance the intracellular charge accumulated by bacteria under osmotic stress (Kets et al. 1997).

Cells grown in MRS supplemented with sucrose, showed a similar pattern of intracellular amino acids to those in control cells, except that serine and methionine levels were enhanced by ca. 50%, glutamine levels by ca. 80%, no arginine was detected, and lower levels of glutamate and aspartate were found (ca. 40–50% lower than in control cells; data not shown). Sucrose as an osmolyte accumulated by stressed bacteria is advantageous in that as a non-reducing sugar, it does not undergo Maillard reactions with the amino groups of proteins (Page-Sharp et al. 1999). Sucrose accumulated by Lactobacillus bulgaricus resulted in significantly enhanced survival during heating and during storage of dried cells (Silva et al. 2004).

Does it mean that plantarum induces more excitotoxicity? Differently in the presence of MSG or of sucrose?
I am sorry I am not educated enough to understand what is going on there.
Does it mean bad feelings from plantarum could be reduced by taking some sucrose and eliminating MSG?
It certainly FEELS like that.

I notice amino acids depletion with plantarum + MSG. Is that correct?
Sorry if I am not very clear.
:sluggish:

I'm wondering, can someone point to a link of a study or something where can be seen that that raw potato starch can be eaten by humans? I only find studies where they gave it to animals.
I'm raising that question because of solanine of course, witch can be additionally negative in or positive in CFS, I'm not sure. As I understand, nightshade foods increase Acetylcholine witch is increasingly implicated in the CFS pathogenesis, witch further acts on nicotinic and muscarinic cholinergic receptors and so:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15041034
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14503920
YouTube [LINK]

Ripley

I'm wondering, can someone point to a link of a study or something where can be seen that that raw potato starch can be eaten by humans? I only find studies where they gave it to animals.
I'm raising that question because of solanine of course, witch can be additionally negative in or positive in CFS, I'm not sure. As I understand, nightshade foods increase Acetylcholine witch is increasingly implicated in the CFS pathogenesis, witch further acts on nicotinic and muscarinic cholinergic receptors and so:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15041034
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14503920
YouTube [LINK]

We discussed this two pages back. Solanine should not be found in potato starch.

dannybex

We discussed this two pages back. Solanine should not be found in potato starch.
But it could very well be. It's my understanding after a lot of reading on the subject, that those with nightshade sensitivities or 'intolerance', the effect is cumulative, so at some point, even tiny amounts can set off a cascade of neurological issues.

Violeta

I've been thinking that the bacteria that we are trying to displace are there for a reason, which is to protect us from heavy metals, which can be more toxic than bacteria.

This morning I found another article that may explain this.

E. Coli mechanism of copper homeostasis in a changing environment.
a pdf, found at:

www.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1016/S0168-6445(03)00049-4.pdf

I'm wondering if it would be more advantageous for people who are having bad reactions to potato starch would try to get the offending metals out, first.

Ripley

But it could very well be. It's my understanding after a lot of reading on the subject, that those with nightshade sensitivities or 'intolerance', the effect is cumulative, so at some point, even tiny amounts can set off a cascade of neurological issues.

Solanine is not likely the culprit. It's extremely water soluble and starch-making involves tons of water. I just don't see how it would survive the starch making process. And, again, people with nightshade intolerance who take PS don't complain of any solanine poisoning related symptoms, which are very specific. There's just no good evidence to support what you're saying. Any trace issues that are nightshade related would likely be from a number of other nightshade-related compounds.

And If trace levels of impurities are you're concern about potato starch, then just use a different kind of RS (green banana flour, green plantain flour) or a different kind prebiotic — there are many. Potato starch is not a requirement. It's just a cheap ($3.99/lb) and easy form of RS for most people which just happens to result in a lot of butyrate.

Last edited:
Solanine is not likely the culprit. It's extremely water soluble and starch-making involves tons of water. I just don't see how it would survive the starch making process. And, again, people with nightshade intolerance who take PS don't complain of any solanine poisoning related symptoms, which are very specific. There's just no good evidence to support what you're saying. Any trace issues that are nightshade related would likely be from a number of other nightshade-related compounds.

And If trace levels of impurities are you're concern about potato starch, then just use a different kind of RS (green banana flour, green plantain flour) or a different kind prebiotic — there are many. Potato starch is not a requirement. It's just a cheap ($3.99/lb) and easy form of RS for most people which just happens to result in a lot of butyrate.

I'm not completely familiar with potato starch manufacturing, but I believe that it is removing solanine. Question is how much is left, and you can certainly be sure that some is left. Is it a one molecule, one picogram or one gram is only question, because no one process is 100%. Only HPLC or some method like that can tell. Solanine content also will depend of exact manufacturing process. I presume that it will wary if some manufacturer use one or two tone of water, I exaggerate to make a point. Even in highly controlled pharmaceutical industry you can order and demand different kind of chemical purity and standard witch they need to satisfy. Strictly scientifically speaking, exact potato starch should be tested to know real content and then second question will arise, will that amount of solanine (very small, I don't doubt) have any effects in humans. Because as I see other plants are also having acetylcholinesterase inhibitors.
Also, I'm confused, here it says that solanine is insoluble in water (on the page 15)

Here even say that reduces protein digestibility and increases toxicity.

I'm not sure what to think about all that. Is there any study where they use raw potato starch on the human subject?

Also I'll appreciate if can someone explain what would be generally difference in taking for example RS4 in contrarily to RS2? Or what is the difference of taking RS and Inulin or Oligofructose on other hand? As I see, both raise SCFA, perhaps stimulates slightly different species of bacteria to grow.

Ripley

I'm confused, here it says that solanine is insoluble in water (on the page 15)

According to a paper published in the British Medical Journal and referenced by the FDA Poisonous Plant Database, in 1960...
FDA Poisonous Plant Database said:
Solanine is a glyco-alkaloid which is found in the blackcurrant-like fruits of black nightshade (Solanum nigrum) and the redcurrant-like fruits of bitter-sweet or woody nightshade (Solanum dulcamara). But these are rarely eaten, and then only in ignorance of their poisonous nature. A more homely source of solanine is the common potato (solanum tuberosum), whose average content is 8 mg. per 100 g. The interior of the potato contains less than this, and too little to cause any toxic effects. The toxic dose is 20 to 25 mg...Exposure of potatoes to light favours the production of solanine, but ordinary storage does not increase the amount of it...Solanine is soluble in water and diffused by boiling potatoes but not by baking them. As it is present in highest concentration immediately under the skin, it is not surprising that only those people who ate the skins were poisoned and that all guests at the hotel excaped because they were given only boiled peeled potatoes.[LINK]

I'm not completely familiar with potato starch manufacturing, but I believe that it is removing solanine. Question is how much is left, and you can certainly be sure that some is left. Is it a one molecule, one picogram or one gram is only question, because no one process is 100%. Only HPLC or some method like that can tell. Solanine content also will depend of exact manufacturing process. I presume that it will wary if some manufacturer use one or two tone of water, I exaggerate to make a point. Even in highly controlled pharmaceutical industry you can order and demand different kind of chemical purity and standard witch they need to satisfy. Strictly scientifically speaking, exact potato starch should be tested to know real content and then second question will arise, will that amount of solanine (very small, I don't doubt) have any effects in humans. Because as I see other plants are also having acetylcholinesterase inhibitors.

Honestly, I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Even in the mid-1800s people were making starch from the most rotten and solanine-rich potatoes, and feeding it to invalids, and nobody was reporting any poisoning problems or solanine issues from them.

If the starch making process — which peels away most of the solanine (typically found in the peels) and uses a ridiculous amount of water to remove all traces of a potato except for its internal granules — is not good enough for your standards, then you should never go anywhere near a potato or french fry ever again because cooking does not remove all traces of solanine.

And if you already do this, then you should simply go and find another prebiotic that makes you comfortable (green banana flour, green plantain flour, etc) — there are many choices.

I'm not sure what to think about all that. Is there any study where they use raw potato starch on the human subject?

Yes. They were first done in the 1920s by Langworthy and Duel. Furthermore, there is a condition called amylophagia, where people are known to eat an entire box of starch every day (usually corn starch) for years — some as long as a decade or more — and other than it's believed to be a disgusting habit, there aren't any side effects that I'm aware of other than from eating a starch that is too glycemic (like corn starch).

Last edited:

dannybex

According to a paper published in the British Medical Journal and referenced by the FDA Poisonous Plant Database, in 1960...

Honestly, I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Even in the mid-1800s people were making starch from the most rotten and solanine-rich potatoes, and feeding it to invalids, and nobody was reporting any poisoning problems or solanine issues from them.

At least not in that book. With all due respect, I think you might want to raise the issue if you were suffering the effects of solanine or other nightshade toxicities, that apparently in some people are cumulative. It may be a molehill for some, but for others, it is very much a mountain. I can't explain why some react and others don't, but then no one can explain why some people suffer from seasonal allergies, or peanut allergies, etc..

If the starch making process — which peels away most of the solanine (typically found in the peels) and uses a ridiculous amount of water to remove all traces of a potato except for its internal granules — is not good enough for your standards, then you should never go anywhere near a potato or french fry ever again because cooking does not remove all traces of solanine.

Thanks Ripley, that's the plan. I wouldn't wish the severe neurological problems I've experienced after 3-4 months of eating potatoes (after avoiding them for four years) -- my only dietary change -- on anyone. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Ripley

With all due respect, I think you might want to raise the issue if you were suffering the effects of solanine or other nightshade toxicities

I believe that you have issues with potatoes — they are nightshades after all. People who have cumulative effects seem to have trouble clearing the alkaloids from their system. But it's not just solanine you need to think about.

There are a few glycoalkaloids in potatoes. For instance α-chaconine is a lesser known glycoalkaloid, but it's actually more toxic than solanine. Calcitriol in nightshades can cause stiff joints, which is a common problem for those with nightshade intolerance.

At any rate, this thread is generally about potato starch and I've never heard of anyone experiencing neurological issues or any solanine-poisoning symptoms from eating potato starch. Of the few who have reported symptoms on FTA with potato starch, the only issues were rashes or stiff joints.

I think most people are well aware of their nightshade intolerances, if they have them. And those people can choose any number of alternative prebiotics.

Last edited:

Ripley

And for what it's worth, α-solanine and α-chaconine make up roughly 95% of the glycoalkaloids found in potatoes. A study was done to determine the glycoalkaloid concentration of potato products, including potato starch, and here's what they found:

Darcy R. Driedger and Andpeter Sporns said:
Glycoalkaloid Concentration In By-Products Of Potato Starch Extraction As Measured By Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorptioniionization Mass Spectrometry
Darcy R. Driedger and Andpeter Sporns
Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, Volume 23, Issue 5, pages 377–390, November 1999

Starch, potato protein concentrate, and potato pulp were produced in order to determine the fate of endogenous toxic glycoalkaloids during potato processing. Potato protein concentrate was precipitated from potato fruit water using acid and heat. Glycoalkaloid concentrations were determined using matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry. No correlation was observed between tuber protein concentration and yield of potato protein concentrate (r = 0.257). Glycoalkaloids could not be detected in starch extracted from tubers with a glycoalkaloid concentration of 6.6 mg/i 00 g (fwb). Dry potato protein concentrate and dry potato pulp produced from the same tubers contained 60 and 50 mg glycoalkaloid/100 g, respectively. the apparent partitioning of glycoalkaloids into the protein concentrate and pulp indicates toxicity might be a concern for these products, given that a maximum acceptable level of 20 mg glycoalkaloid/100 g is often cited for tubers. [LINK]

However... it should be noted that other studies showed < 4 µg/g glycoalkaloids in potato starch (Saito et al., 1990, Alt et al., 2005).

Last edited:
@Ripley
What is your opinion about this [LINK] [LINK]? It is in same price range as a potato starch and widely used in clinical studies. Only thing that confused me is that they always use heat treat resistant starch (in human studies, eg. crackers) and and I tooth that heat destroys resistant starch.

Ripley

@Ripley
What is your opinion about this [LINK] [LINK]? It is in same price range as a potato starch and widely used in clinical studies. Only thing that confused me is that they always use heat treat resistant starch (in human studies, eg. crackers) and and I tooth that heat destroys resistant starch.

It's fine. Hi-Maize corn starch is similar to plantain flour in its RS content, which is about 40-50% RS by weight. It's an acceptable RS source — particularly for those who have trouble with green banana flour or plantain flour.

Dr. Grace/BG has cited some evidence that green banana flour has stigmasterol and soluble oligosaccharides that make pathogens fly off adherence to the small intestines (works even better in the presence of L. Plantarum, which also targets pathogens). So, green banana flour would probably be my first choice. Plus, you can even make your own with green bananas (or just eat them) if you want.

Last edited:

Ripley

Speaking of toxic glycoalkaloids in potatoes. This is incredible. Check this out...

From: 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles C. Mann

1493 Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles C Mann said:
Potatoes would not seem obvious candidates for domestication. Wild tubers are laced with solanine and tomatine, toxic compounds thought to defend the plants against attacks from dangerous organisms like fungi, bacteria, and human beings. Cooking often breaks down a plant’s chemical defenses – many beans for example are safe to eat only after being soaked and heated – but solanine and tomatine are unaffected by the pot and oven. Andean people apparently neutralized them by eating dirt: clay to be precise. In the altiplano, guanacos and vicuñas (wild relatives of the llama) lick clay before eating poisonous plants. The toxins in the foliage stick – more technically "adsorb" – to the fine clay particles. Bound to dirt the harmful substances pass through the animals’ digestive system without affecting it. Mimicking this process, Indians apparently dunked wild potatoes in a “gravy” made of clay and water. Eventually they bred less lethal varieties, though some of the old, poisonous varieties still remain, favored for their resistance to frost. Bags of clay dust are still sold in mountain markets to accompany them on the table.

Andean Indians ate potatoes boiled, baked and mashed as people in Europe and North America do. But they also consumed them in forms still little known outside the highlands. Potatoes were boiled, peeled, chopped and dried to make papas secas; fermented for months in stagnant water to create a sticky, odoriferous toqosh; ground to pulp, soaked in a jug, and filtered to produce almidón de papa (potato starch). The most ubiquitous concoction was chuño, made by spreading potatoes outside to freeze on cold nights. As it expands the ice inside potato cells ruptures cell walls. The potatoes are thawed by morning sun, then frozen again the next night. Repeated freeze-thaw cycles transform the spuds into soft, juicy blobs. Farmers squeeze out the water and produce chuño: stiff styrofoam like nodules about two-thirds smaller than the original tubers. Long exposure to the sun turns them gray-black; cooked into a spicy Andean stew, they resemble gnocchi, the potato-flour dumplings favored in central Italy. Chuño can be kept for years without refrigeration, meaning that it can be stored as insurance against bad harvests. It was the food that sustained the conquering Inca armies.” [LINK]

Last edited:

Vegas

Speaking of toxic glycoalkaloids in potatoes. This is incredible. Check this out...

From: 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles C. Mann

Pretty cool. Also, bear in mind that glycoalkaloids are subject to hydrolysis by bacterial organisms that predominantly reside in the large intestine. Healthy humans should have an abundance of these microbial organisms that possess these glycoside hydrolase enzymes that participate in adding water molecules, in a process of rendering these compounds less toxic.

It is certainly no coincidence that hydrolysis requires phosphate, and potato starch and its amylopectin content, appears to have an abundance of monophosphate. Also, amylopectin appears to be most readily accessible to organisms known to have robust glycosidic hydrolase capacity. Further, unprocessed potatoes (historically) would have an abundance of soil based organisms that could also participate in the process of further reducing the toxicity of these compounds, at least indirectly. The organisms, whose expansion is enormously and very specifically stimulated by the amylopectin (Clostridial XIVA/Bifidobacteria) don't just participate in the chemical degradation of these alkaloids though, they very prominently maintain the intestinal integrity to keep these compounds, which I believe are not so readily absorbed in the GIT, from passing the epithelial barrier. Intestinal permeability increases toxicity in a variety of ways.

It would appear as if there are obvious built-in mechanisms to render these compounds less toxic, but if you don't have the bacterial organisms that can utilize these, you are likely to suffer from the consequences of these glycoalkaloids, indefinitely. I think these compounds may stop punishing the mitochondria and inhibiting the breakdown of acetylcholine once you get the acetate and butyrate up.