1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Ripley, Dec 11, 2013.

1. thomas_3000

thomas_3000

Ha, damnit. I read B12, went out and researched 'b12 deficiency' and ordered a good supplement. Maybe dandruff is also highly correlated with farsightnedness ;) (yes, i'm starting to use the smilies as well now!)

I'll incorporate some more riboflavin-rich foods like spinach, almonds, eggs, etc.

On a side note: I might have a B-12 deficiency as well, there's a correlation with IBS and low B-12. I'll test whether it helps with energy levels.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  2. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

Where did you order it from? Some places allow you to cancel. You might need b-12, but B-2 is good for the eyes. I'll see if I saved a link to a good list of symptoms associated with b=-2 deficiency. If you build up that, it actually enhances your body's production of b-12.
  3. thomas_3000

thomas_3000

@Violeta

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riboflavin

Hmm, yes some symptoms are similar. But then again, that's the culprit of Dr. Google; search for 'red bump on arm' and come away convinced that you have cancer.

What I'm going to do is to still test the B-12 and if I still have some nagging health issues I'll do a comprehensive blood analysis, instead of buying supplements based on my own assumptions; those are always somewhat of a shot in the dark :cautious:

Edit: Just googled angular cheilitis. Yes I have had that, not sure whether I still have it (beard is somewhat in the way). But definitively had that in the past.
  4. thomas_3000

thomas_3000

Just realized something fascinating:

Ever since making significant improvements in my health my 'sweet tooth' has almost disappeared. I was listening to a podcast where a doctor/researcher was talking about the interaction of bacteria with our mind and this led me to this study:

Utilisation of mucin glycans by the human gut symbiontRuminococcus gnavus is strain-dependent’ Crost, E. H. et al doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0076341

http://news.ifr.ac.uk/2013/10/mucin-glycans/comment-page-1/
    Here's a good article about the study: http://news.ifr.ac.uk/2013/10/mucin-glycans/comment-page-1/

And read this:

I used to eat between 100 and 200gr of chocolate (I know. I know). And now I might eat 30gr a day or so? I can resist the allure quite easily now. Fascinating.
    madietodd likes this.
  5. finalgates

finalgates

so brushing teeth with baking soda is bad?
  6. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Has anyone any thoughts about liposomal encapsulation of pro biotics?
  7. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    That wouldn't seem to make any sense. Liposomal encapsulation helps drugs and nutrient to enter through the cell membrane, this is not something you are looking for when supplementing probiotics.
    brenda likes this.
  8. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    By disproportionate, do they mean low?
    Edit: just read some of the study you posted, if I read it right it is present, but absent in the mucosa when the disease is active?
    My test from a year ago shows zero Rumminococcus and I have ulcerative colitis.
    It's one of the things id like to fix but there isn't a commercial source for it. I'm hoping to get some via fermented foods.
    I've also always had a sugar craving.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  9. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

Yo Thomas 3000,,,,I am a chocolate fiend also. What did you do that got you past it? Tnx
  10. thomas_3000

thomas_3000

@snowathlete i actually think they mean high. I'm not sure regarding your other questions.

@aquariusgirl it was an unexpected result of resolving my gut dysbiosis and constipation. My situation is/was unique, so what worked for me doesn't necessarily help you. I also did so much at the same time that it's hard to pinpoint what is working. Maybe I'll write about it in the future. I'm taking my time to see whether I have indeed become a lot better, or whether this is just a fluke. I'm very skeptical regarding any improvements, especially since I've been sick so long.
  11. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I just ordered some stuff from Vitacost (USA), and their BRM potato starch is 20% off at $2.71 for 24 ounces, if you buy 2. The offer is good until 3/23/14.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  12. Lou

Lou Senior Member

southeast US

Seborrheic dermatitis can also be symptom of B3, B12, and folate deficiency. Folate, in that you need it to utilize B12. For me, B3, the lack of, is biggest culprit.
    thomas_3000 likes this.
  13. xjhuez

xjhuez Senior Member

I don't know that any of us are taking pea fiber, but seemed relevant to the thread, as these are the same positive results we're after.

Long-Term Intake of Pea Fiber Affects Colonic Barrier Function, Bacterial and Transcriptional Profile in Pig Model

Abstract
    The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of long-term intake of pea fiber (PF) on colonic health and the underlying mechanism. Fifty weaned piglets were randomly allocated into 2 groups receiving control and fibrous diet with inclusion of PF from weaning to Day 160 postweaning, with 5 pens in each group and 5 pigs in each pen. Compared with control diet, long-term intake of PF diet induced deeper crypt and increased colonic barrier-related protein expression of mucin and sIgA. As indicated by the increased lactobacillus content, pigs fed PF diet had a stimulating effect on bacterial fermentation in the colon, thus a higher concentration of colonic total short chain fatty acid and acetic acid were observed. DNA microarray results suggested that feeding PF diet inhibited 77% of genes (40 downregulated and 12 upregulated genes) related to colonic cancer, immune response, and lipid metabolism, involving in signal pathway such as intestinal immune network for IgA production, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor signaling pathway and nutrient metabolism-related pathways. Collectively, our results suggested that long-term intake of PF would improve colonic function via altering colonic barriers, colonic immune and metabolism-related protein or gene expressions.
  14. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    That's also helped me at night with my sinusitis but the severe headaches and the facial pain still remain. I'd love it if RS would maybe help but maybe this is an effect that's slower to develop since the sinus microbiome is presumably largely separate from the gut.

Oh well! I'm sorry for the diversion of the thread - let's get back to gut. :):alien:
  15. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

I've heard more than once that sinus infections are tied to what's going on in the gut. It's not good to let the infection hang around in your sinuses because it's so close to the brain.
    Sasha likes this.
  16. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Forgive me if this question has already been asked in the last 50 pages, but do we need all three types of resistant starch? I mean, the second type is harder to come by but is it vitally different from the other two types that are easier to aquire? If not then surely you could just eat the stuff that gives you the easiest RS input.
  17. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Wrong species again!
  18. xjhuez

xjhuez Senior Member

Generally speaking, mice, rats and pigs make excellent laboratory proxies for humans.
    South and Gestalt like this.
  19. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    lol
  20. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    You might be interested in this study:

Resistant Starches Types 2 and 4 Have Differential Effects on the Composition of the Fecal Microbiota in Human Subjects

From the abstract:

I believe the consensus is that RS2 is the most accessible. RS4 is synthetic, RS1 is present in grains and legumes, and RS3 in cooked and cooled starches (rice, potatoes) in small amounts. RS2 in the form of potato starch, green banana/plaintain will give you the most bang for the buck.

Here is a nice list of the RS content of foods:
    http://freetheanimal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Resistant-Starch-in-Foods.pdf
    snowathlete and anne_likes_red like this.

See more popular forum discussions.